Thursday, April 19, 2007

Mission critical

I have a very important mission today. Let's start at the start. No worries, it's a quick story.

Five years ago I arrived to my current job and was taken under the wing of my very good friend since I was 15 years old. She brought me to get my ID card picture taken. It was an awful photo, one of my "squirrel caught in the headlights" photos, with me wearing this horizontal striped number.

Today, three days shy of exactly five years from that fateful day, her husband (Break Boy) and I are going to get our ID card pictures retaken so that we can be reissued new ID cards without that pesky SSN encoded in the barcode strip on the back. Break Boy asked me to go with him yesterday evening when we were talking on the phone about other pressing work matters. I am Break Boy's favorite eye candy, hence the special invitation. :)

See? Short story. Fascinating, wasn't it? I enjoy getting my ID card picture taken about as much as I enjoy having my eyes gouged out, but it is a necessary evil.

4 comments:

Chicken said...

I just had my drivers license renewed. I thought that maybe just maybe the picture might be half decent. You should have seen the DMV chick's face when she handed it over to me.

Poppy said...

Hee. :) I just had mine renewed this past July and because I still had my braces on I told the DMV lady that I would not be smiling in the photo since I wouldn't be wearing braces for four years. So, grumpy Poppy pikshur for mine. I always look ridiculous when I smile for official photos. I take a much better candid photo. I actually practiced smiling this morning. I think I have the scenario down in my head that will trigger me to smile properly for the photo. Can't wait. :)

Tug said...

My Arizona driver's license was good for TWENTY-EIGHT YEARS.

I should have never moved away...

Poppy said...

If you had never moved away we might never have met! Oh. Wait. We're virtual. Never mind.