Friday, April 06, 2007

Freddy, this one's for you.

This morning Hay and I entered into a discussion about the song Another One Bites the Dust. I don't quite remember how. Something he said made me say something that twisted the words of the song and he didn't understand what I was saying so I sang, "another one bites the dust! *Freddy pelvic thrust* HUH! *giggle*" and then he understood.

A reminder: My parents divorced when I was three. I went with Mom, my brother went with Dad. I promise this is a segue.

When I was 8 my big brother severely enjoyed torturing me in any way possible. I lived in a development that was a small forest away from our local grocery store and mall. One weekend when (let's name my brother, shall we? hmm, ... Chip?) Chip was over to my house for the weekend he took his tape recorder and dragged me along through the woods to go to the mall. We spent several hours there getting kicked out of such high class establishments as Radio Shack, Spencer's Gifts*, and my most favoritest shop when I was a kid called Serendipity then hitting up the arcade until all our money and tokens were gone.

Several hours later we left the mall to go home. It was dark outside. No moon. Spooky, eerie quiet except for frogs and crickets and scurrying woodland animals. As my brother and I walked back through the forest he pressed play on his tape recorder and Freddy Mercury's voice croaked out a very apropos "another one bites the dust, another one bites the dust, another one bites the dust, another one bites the dust" then the guitar played.


Oh, I cannot even explain to you how FAR-EAKED OUT I was. I started screaming my little head off and ran as fast as my little legs could carry me in the dark, all the way back home while my brother laughed (maniacally) behind me.

As an adult I always laugh when I remember this story, because the scariest thing I can think of about Freddy is that he liked to wear a lot of mantoe-inducing suits then stick one leg up on an amp while he sang to his audience.

In case you need a reminder of the song:



*So, technically, I've been to a shop with sex toys but it's not a sex shop.

4 comments:

Chicken said...

That song always reminds me of the roller rink.

sourpuss said...

I like Spencer's. About seven years ago I worked somplace that was close to a mall that had a Spencer's and I would go there on my lunch hour to browse. I wonder if it's still there.. next time I'm out that way, I'm going to check. Thanks for reminding me about that store!

Avitable said...

I used to shoplift from Specer's all the time in high school.

Poppy said...

Chicken - Yah. :)

Sour - You're welcome!

Avi - Bad to the bone, aren't you...