Monday, April 16, 2007

"Is it because I'm not Catholic?"

I've learned lately that many people who read my blog are Catholic, although perhaps not practicing. Have I ever mentioned? (yes I have.) that I am not Catholic?

I was born a Methodist and it never quite took. The only good thing that came out of my association with the Methodist church is that I got to crush on the same boy for 7 years of my younger life and that I continue to be invited to a barbecue and auction every July 4th at which most of my maternal family gathers. ... Yup, that's about it.

I'm not willing to admit my full philosophy about spirituality. I am willing to reiterate what I've mentioned before which is that I think Buddhism is the closest organized religion that matches my belief system. I won't be enlightened in this life, but I'm confident I'll come back a few steps closer in my next life.

Hay is Catholic and has all that Catholic guilt associated with it, which to me is such a foreign concept I can't relate at all. Sure, I've had guilt in my life, but I seem to have lost it along the path of my life. It's really just not anywhere to be found anymore, and I prefer my life this way. I'm not interesting in having my life ruled by fear, guilt, regret, Other People's Rules. I do still follow basic societal rules, but I enjoy bending them a bit.

I'm really asking this more to myself, because it's been bugging me a lot lately, but I am wondering: Will I ever be fully accepted by a Catholic if I myself never ever intend to be Catholic myself? If I live my life in a way that is so far from the life that a good Catholic is supposed to live? If I have such a different belief system that I quietly agree to disagree with your own? I definitely feel like an outsider on this one, and it bothers me that two people can be so incompatible but just because they have religion in common they are somehow more bonded than I can ever be just because of this one little matter of spiritual beliefs. And it bothers me that two people can be so compatible but religion will always divide them at a core level. Irritates the piss out of me, in fact.

Deep, I know. Happy Monday. :)



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well what ever religion you are, your crossed fingers are magic! Not only did Fynn feel better towards early evening, she wanted mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner! Why am I using all these exclamation points!?!?!!?!?!

Avitable said...

I'm a bad Catholic. And all of this is wayyyy too deep for my tired brain.

Any person who is so tied to their religion that they'd never fully accept another person has major issues.

Stefanie said...

I often wonder if the occasional probably unjustified guilt in my life is just because I think I should be a better person or because of Catholic upbringing. Catholicism seems like an easy scapegoat, but maybe there's something to it.

Like Kristen, I was raised Catholic (baptized, confirmed, went to Catholic grade school), and my mom is ALSO the church secretary! (Weird!) I do NOT consider myself a Catholic now, and I think my mother will never make peace with that. I agree with you, though, Poppy: religion is such a foolish thing to divide people.

Bearette said...

I'm Catholic and D is Jewish, but I always felt it keeps things interesting. Even in its Reform incarnation, Judaism has more rules than Catholicism. But they do have guilt in common.

Poppy said...

Molly - See, there's a bit of mysticism thrown into my brand of spirituality. I cross my fingers and hope really hard for things and I make them happen. :)

K - I did enjoy going to church for the stories, but I always viewed them externally, as if I had no part or purpose in hearing them except as an observer. I received no messages from them. I am more a believer that there are helpers guiding me to enlightenment, but not one being who created my world. I have my own religion. :) And there will never be other followers.

Avi - You're not that bad. You are fundamentally a good boy, you just front a bad boy attitude. :P

Stef - I agree that it's a bad reason, but history continues to repeat itself on a global scale, and for me it's what divides me in my personal life. I reject the premise, but I have no control over the other people around me who choose to reject me at some level for not being the same as they are.

Bearette - That's an interesting way of looking at it. And I do recall from dating a few Jewish boys that guilt is fundamental. I was ready to convert to that religion for one boy, though. I will never, ever, never never ever convert to Catholicism.

Okay, and deepness seems to continue. Hmm. Thanks for all your comments, everyone. It helps me process this issue.

Tug said...

I once dated a catholic whose whole family spoke Spanish only. So as long as you have the language of LOOOOOOOOVE figured out, you're OK. ;-)

Too too deep to wrap my little head around. I'm lutheran, but don't "practice" per se. You're one step ahead of me by even learning about the others...I haven't even made it that far.

Bearette said...

Had to tell this story while we're on the subject of religion. D's cousin's wife wanted to convert to Judaism. But one of the final steps is, she has to float in a pool naked while an attendant watches! Needless to say, she didn't want to, and she might soon engage in "rabbi shopping" - i.e., finding one who won't make her do that.