Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Postal. (aka "The softer side of Poppy.")

Hi. Allow me to preface: I predominantly work with men or really dedicated-to-their-careers women. I want to make it clear that I do like women just fine. I promise I do. A lot of my favoritest bloggers are women, I even have real life friends who are women, and a lot of the people who influence my every day life personally and professionally are women. So, I'm not talking about you or them.

Who I am talking about are those women who I am not friends with* who show up in my doorway or in the general hallway, blocking the exit, then proceed to: complain REALLY LOUDLY about work; talk about their kids, their pets, their husbands, their gardens, their frilly-girly-shit; ask "does my hair look okay?", "oh, that's a cute outfit, where'd you get it?!", "did you hear what happened to Susie today??"; and all that other freakin' bullshit the busy bee ladies like to talk about.

We're at work. Could we perhaps FOCUS for two secs and discuss... oh, I dunno... work? At least could you get the fuck out of my doorway so that I don't have to use my "DEFENSIVE" stance on you? Because that's going to scare the crap out of you and then I'll become the gossip fodder. And I don't much care for being gossiped about. I know I'm all business, I know you're the problem, and I know that I'm choosing business over you. Smarts a bit to hear that, doesn't it?

And when I'm about to go get my burrito because I'm so fucking starving I'm about to gnaw my hand off is not the time to stop me to talk for half an hour about any of the above verboten topics.

Don't include me in your fun time and I won't include you in mine. (Trust me, you don't want in on my fun time, busy bees. My fun time will melt your little brains.)



*If you're my friend then you already know I'm multi-tasking on about 10 things at once and you won't mind that I'm listening but emailing, IMing, writing various documents, testing out technology, scheduling myself or a group for the millionth meeting (I'm really good at it, so I choose to do it), reading some technical something-or-other, or telling you to hold on a sec so I can make a business phone call unless you say, "[Poppy], I need to talk to you about something and I need your undivided attention." Because you deserve my undivided attention. The busy bees? They do not.

9 comments:

Avitable said...

Ooh - you should put the lessons learned in your class to the test! Yar!

Tug said...

I am NOT a fan of those women either. The ONE good thing about my job now is I work with all men (& one camel-toed asshat I call 'boss') I used to always tell women I bought all my clothes at K-Mart or Wal-Mart. Shuts 'em right up.

Mel said...

I am completely distracted by your blog title. "The softer side of Poppy"... heh. Can I touch your "softer side"? How 'bout lay my head on it, too? ;)

Ok, ok. Trying to keep my head out of the gutter.

Those women you are talking about? I can't stand them either. That girly-girl shit doesn't fly with me.

But just so you know? You can use your DEFENSIVE stance on me anytime. I actually think that would be kinda hot! ;)

Poppy said...

Avi - I might have to start doing that...

Tug - YAY. And, I'm not entirely convinced it wouldn't just be intriguing to these ladies if I did shop exclusively at K'Mart and Wal-Mart. :)

Mel - Your mind is perpetually in the gutter, just face it! I think we need to start a NO GIRLY-GIRL club. And I'll gladly try out my DEFENSIVE stance on you in July. YAR. :) (It will make you giggle and be horrified at the very same time.)

sourpuss said...

I think I may have had a little orgasm while reading this post.

YES! YES! YES!! I can so totally pluck you out of that situation & insert myself. Why do people waste so much time at work & why do they dare to think I'm interested in their private lives??

Sometimes I just want to scream: "I'm here to work, you crazy people! My life outside of this company is personal, therefore none of your beeswax! And I have no desire to hear about yours, so back the frack off!"

melissa said...

a THOUSAND times agreed.

can you come to my work and give that rant as a seminar to the blue hairs? 'cause they *really* need it.

Poppy said...

Sour - I'm glad I could help you with that. :D

MIL - GLADLY. :)

Mel said...

Yes, I admit it. I'm always thinking naughty thoughts! :)

And we should have a NO GIRLY-GIRL club. Complete with a kick-ass club house. SA-WEET!

YAR! Can't wait til July :D

Poppy said...

Apparently there are several other women who read my blog who would like to join the club. And I'm sure Avi would like to join just because he's a total perv and wants to hang out with girls 24/7/365. But, really, who doesn't?

What should we name this club? I like abstruse naming of secret clubs better than obvious.