Friday, January 27, 2006

Take Five: Help!

UN-*sticky*-ed


I own Dave Brubeck's original version of Take Five, but I loved Paris Bennett's remake of Billie Holiday's version and am trying to locate Billie's version on vinyl or CD for purchase. Anyone know where I can find it?

Update: After some digging, it turns out that Billie Holiday could not have sung Take Five, since she died the year before Dave Brubeck wrote the song and his wife wrote the lyrics. So, it is assumed that either Paris thought that the Carmen McRae version was Billie, or that she simply meant that she would sing Take Five in the style of Billie Holiday, which I think she did very well! So, the only Billie Holiday version of Take Five is what you see in Paris Bennett's American Idol audition. Mystery solved!

4 comments:

acw said...

After a little research, on some Jazz discussion boards, I became aware of the fact that Take Five was written in 1959, which is the same year Billie Holiday died. Chances are slim that she was the one who recorded vocals for Take Five. Paris was probably incorrect when she said it was sung by Billie Holiday, and may not have been aware that it was actually sung by Carmen McRae. Some light digging on Amazon after that gave me this but you may be able to find something more available if you keep searching. If you do find something, let me know.

Poppy said...

ACW, I think I love you now. I have purchased the Carmen McRae version. I am now content. BDogg suggests that perhaps Paris was singing Take Five in the style of Billie Holiday? Sounded just like Billie to me. :)

Unknown said...

Al Jarreau also recorded it as well...great live and studio versions!

Poppy said...

Thanks, Santino. :)