Sunday, January 29, 2006

Movie review quickies

Dark Water, 2005
An American remake of the original Japanese version. A recently divorced mother and her daughter move into a less-than-desirable building in Manhatten where they are disturbed by the ghost of the former tenant. I actually preferred the American version because the story line flowed better for me and the ending had closure.

Infection, 2004
A Japanese horror film with English sub-titles for our viewing pleasure. An infection that takes over a hospital staff involved in the cover-up of a patient's death. I expect this will be made into an American film, although IMDb does not show one filming. I think I'll classify this as a B movie since many of the "horror" scenes actually make me laugh. A great write-up of the film is available at Bloody-Disgusting.com.

Flightplan, 2005
A woman takes a nap on a plane and wakes up to find her daughter missing. Is her daughter really on the plane? Slightly original, but not pulled off well enough to be considered fantastic. The antagonist is a surprise if you're not paying attention. Otherwise, not so much. The reason why this story line pulls together is too far-fetched. The whole time we watched the movie Hay and I kept yelling "SAAAAARSGAAAAARD" in tribute to the SNL pirate sketch about Peter Sarsgaard. :D I was left confused why they even bothered to cast the fabulously talented Erika Christensen's character since it adds nothing to any portion of the story line. Perhaps her character was meant to throw us off the scent of the real "bad guys".

7 comments:

kris said...

Mmmm. More Sarsgaard mentions make mama so happy . . . ;)

Poppy, how sad am I really that when I looked at the first picture, I wondered what Posh was doing making movies?

I need to get out more.

P'nut said...

Flightplan was a huge disappointment. And I thought they couldn't have been more obvious about the characters & their purposes. Definitely one of Jodie's worst.

Joanne said...

It bums me out that Flightplan isn't better. It looks, in the commercials at least, like it would be really good. It'll eventually hit fancy cable and I'll probably watch it there.

don't call me MA'AM said...

So, you would recommend Dark Water then? That was one I wanted to see, but just kept missing it in the theaters (read here: my votes for which movie to see were voted down.. boo). I heard Flightplan was disappointing, so I skipped that one, too.

Poppy said...

That was The Grudge. Definitely better in its Japanese form.

melissa said...

Huh. I was looking forward to Flightplan 'cause I like Jodie Foster. Oh, well! I'll prolly still watch it...

: )

I see that you've had some comments Poppy. Hope it gets better!

Poppy said...

Lunchy, an excellent observation and summary of her recent less-than-masterpieces. I do wish she'd make some better script choices, but I love her so much I'll watch her in a dog food commercial if I have to.