Thursday, January 12, 2006

In support of James

I just want to throw in my two bits (that's a whole quarter!) on
this James Frey business (thanks to Jules for the link). He wrote two really incredible books. He may have led us to believe that they were extremely autobiographical, or maybe we all got carried away and made some assumptions based on what James didn't say and he let us
continue with our assumptions. Regardless of their weight in the realm of reality, both books are incredible works and deserve any positive recognition and accolades they receive. As Jules says, “It's a story people - not a Supreme Court Judge nomination!” Right on, Jules!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. Totally

c said...

I don't know...I see your point, certainly, but shouldn't we expect that non-fiction be just that? If it's not true, it shouldn't be marketed as such.

Someone else made a good point by saying that when he was trying to get it published as fiction, publishing houses were just saying that it's like so much that's already out there. But once it became "true", it suddenly got better?

I haven't read it, and I'm not likely to now, so perhaps I shouldn't join the discussion.

Joanne said...

I disagree completely. :) Isn't a memoir, by definition, an autobiography? This isn't like he forgot if he had the chicken pox in the first or second grade. These are major gaffes. He coopted someone elses pain to tell the tale in the train story. He had nothing to do with that incident. That's what disturbs me so much.

He's gotten himself almost a cult-like following based on what people believe to be true about him. He is supposed to be this great inspiration and people have had their lives changed by this book, but shouldn't an inspiration be honest?

Miss Scarlet said...

I haven't read his stuff so maybe my opinion won't mean much but it doesn't bother me if some of his story isn't true. It's like saying every word of auto/biography section needs to be absolute truth. He's still a great writer, right? It's not like he's marketing his book as reference or something.

Elizabeth Tarney said...

Maybe he exaggerated, maybe he didn't. He still went through hell and lived to tell about it, and more importantly lived to write two phenomenal books based on his experiences.