Monday, January 09, 2006

The Producers (1968)

If you'll recall, Hay and I absolutely did not like the Nathan Lane/Matthew Broderick/Uma Thurman/(Will Ferrell) film remake of The Producers. We didn't care for it being a musical, the acting didn't translate to movie form, and the story line was uncomfortable.

Last night we watched the original. What a 180! It was hysterical, never uncomfortable, appropriately tasteless, and NO SINGING except during the Springtime for Hitler musical performance. I'm all for a great musical, but it has to be done correctly if transferred to film. You know how you read a book and then you hear it on tape and sometimes the voice just isn't right for the reading? That's the best I can do to explain why we disliked the remake so much.


Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel do an incredible job of making a movie about a musical that was supposed to flop, while Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick made a musical film flop about a musical that didn't flop. Irony. If you have only ever seen The Producers remake at the movies, please watch the original - it totally redeems itself.

5 comments:

acw said...

Oh yeah, the original was great! I think it was Wilder's first role. Or maybe his first role with Brooks. Regardless, it was really funny.

Anonymous said...

I was going to see the new Producers...But now I think I will see the old one...

Mindi said...

I LOVE the original Producers. I would have walked out of the remake if I hadn't been with friends. No one can compete with Gene Wilder. (not even Johnny Depp!)

don't call me MA'AM said...

I think the biggest issue is that the 1968 version was written as a movie. The Broadway show was based on the movie, and then the Broderick/Lane version is a movie based on the musical version (based on the movie).

IF you like musical movies, then you'll like the new movie. Most people can't get past all the music... and most Broadway lovers can't get past all the scenes from the show that don't make it into the movie. Personally, I love them all.

babyjewels said...

I haven't seen either, but I'll take your advice and see the original. I love Uma, but I did think she wasn't right for this role. Maybe I've just gotten too used to her in her kill bill roles.