Monday, January 02, 2006

Over the river and through the woods

Today I was putting our Netflix film, Mr. and Mrs. Smith*, in the mailbox to be picked up by the postlady when I saw cat prints in the driveway. They were so cute that I took some photos of them later in the day when Hay and I were about to leave to run some errands.



When taking the cat print photos I noticed there was something strange on the camera lens, like a little piece of lint. I tried wiping the lens, but that didn't work. So, I took the camera with me on errands and happened to snap a photo of the garage door:



See that?! It's a huge lint-looking beast! No matter how much I cleaned off the lens or shook the camera it just wouldn't go away, and if I zoomed it got worse! I was very confused by this so as we were driving I took some shots out the windshield and caught this spectacular one:


(Click to see full size)


Our first errand was to go to our bank to turn our pocket change into a deposit for our checking account. Guess how much pocket change we had? $195.63. Isn't that nuts?! Almost $200 in pocket change! We're trying to save money this year for various projects this summer and next winter, so we'll take what we can get!

When we returned home Hay was raking snow off our secondary roof so I was testing my camera out the window at him to try to further diagnose the weird problem with my camera, and happened to recall that I wanted to take a photo of my favorite snowman decoration:



Ripley and Allie love to walk past it and set off the chimes, which makes me smile every time. :)

As I was cleaning up the kitchen I remembered that I had wanted to take a photo of this morning's breakfast for you. Hay made pancakes, one of which came out just like Mickey Mouse:



A little skinnier in the face than the real Mickey, but still mouse-like nonetheless.

After cleaning up the kitchen I succumbed to the girls' begging and gave them catnip. Here's Georgie going zombie on me:



And of course when Ripley is on the wacky weed she gets oddly submissive and chose to bow to Georgie as she rolled around on the floor:



I'll have to chat with Ripley about not losing her virtue while high on the nip...

I was straightening up the living room a little bit while Allie chased her own tail around the living room when Hay yelled to me from outside that there was fog surrounding our house:





It's not normal fog, either, it's like The Fog which rolls in, claims a life, then rolls right back outta town. Our area is frequently visited by fog, I think because we live on wetlands. (Yah, I know, what the hell are we doing living on wetlands? Protected wetlands? You see, the farmer's kids and the town struck a deal and the town ended up with 10s of acres of land and we ended up with a house. If it makes you feel any better about the situation, I grew up playing on the meadow that used to inhabit the earth upon which our home currently resides.)

While looking at the fog I noticed the sun in the sky so I tested the camera problem a few more times and turned up this shot of the problematic fuzzy, but also a breathtaking sun bursting through an angry cloud:



Beautiful, isn't it?

Yup, that about sums up the day. We had BLTs for dinner, but I did not bother with photos, because it was similar to last night only with maple bacon and veggies instead of meatloaf and ketchup sauce. Hope you had a great day after new year's! So far, this year is pretty good!

____
*We gave Mr. and Mrs. Smith 5 stars on Netflix. We really enjoyed it! Good sexual tension, beautiful people, awesome explosive action. Nothing like relationship-ending Gigli!

9 comments:

Poppy said...

Dag nabbit, I threw the damn thing away! And, it's in the really stinky trash that we banished to the garage. I coulda been rich!

Mair said...

What a great day! I love the fog.

v said...

Wow, some stunning photos. You live in a breathtakingly beautiful area. When you need a houseguest let me know.

Poppy said...

My dear LuckyAhlam, that is a paradox. You cannot give your kitty the nip without him going a little crazy. :) It's a drug to cats, they can't help it. Nothing wrong with a little crazy, I always say.

Fog is beautiful.

I accept all houseguests, but I'm only 1/2 owner of the house. :)

Elizabeth Tarney said...

Beautiful pics and beautiful house! I haven't seen fog that pretty in a while. And I see a lot of fog.

Lumbergh-in-training said...

More snow pictures please :)

P'nut said...

Wow, that sounded like a great day. Reading the post & viewing your pics helped settle me down (just had to deal with something that made me angry) so I guess I owe you and your photog ways a big 'thank you'!

Poppy said...

P'nut, sorry to hear about your awful time. You have to share now!!!

Poppy said...

LIT - I went through all my photos, and I don't have any more. Sorry! This is my first winter with the camera. I promise I'll take more.