Thursday, February 02, 2006

puddin'

Today after work I was making a shopping list while I waited for Hay to get off work and come pick me up. I was trying to think of new snack ideas, since I tend to get bored with the same old snacks, and for whatever reason I remembered that there was such a thing as Jell-O* pudding pops! I had no idea if they were still being made, was pretty skeptical that my local store had them, but put them on the list anyway. FF to the frozen treat aisle and I was scanning through all my choices, when I finally saw the object of my desire! I did a quiet squeal and grabbed a box, noting that the picture on the box was still the same old full-sized** pop as back in the 80s. FF to after dinner. I grabbed a pop from the freezer, only to notice that I had grabbed two single pops whose wrappers were attached together. They had shrunken the pops into single stick size! :(

Oh well, at least it was a vanilla and chocolate stuck together so I got to have one of each. I opened the vanilla first and began licking it, and a wave of familiarity washed over me. So weird that I could instantly remember a flavor from so long ago. And then it occurred to me -- vanilla Jello pudding pops taste like cream cheese frosting, but with only 90 calories and 3 grams of fat per stick! Woot! I can now enjoy frozen frosting on a stick without that guilty feeling.

Don't get me wrong, the chocolate one was good too, but it just tasted like chocolate pudding and we all know what that tastes like, but I had totally forgotten the pure confection delight of vanilla Jello pudding. Num. I shall have sweet dreams of frosting tubs dancing through my head tonight. :)

Speaking of Jello and visiting museums to relieve stress, did you know there's a Jell-O gallery and museum in LeRoy, New York?! $3 admission for adults, half that for kiddos. Cool!

*Okay, it's just annoying when it's spelled out properly, so I shall henceforth call it Jello instead.

**My eyes deceived me. You can clearly see on the packaging that the box contains single-sticked pops. I was just waaay excited about them even existing anymore so I wasn't paying very close attention to the packaging.

7 comments:

Stefanie said...

Oh my gosh; I was just reminiscing about pudding pops only a couple of weeks ago. They still make them?? I will definitely have to investigate in the freezer cases near my home as well! Thanks for the tip. :-)

jules said...

Mmmm...this got me remembering banana & chocolate fudgesicles!

Jay said...

I have never seen or tasted a puddin pop before, but I promise to look them up next time I do groceries.

Renee said...

They stopped making them for a while which was so terrible. When I was preggo with my daughter I got a craving for them and lo and behold I saw them. I think I ate the whole box that night!lol

Joanne said...

D'oh. Just yesterday I was lamenting that I had no popsicles. Now I know what I will be purchasing after work today. :)

Kim said...

I'd just like to let you know you can thank ME for them bringing back the pudding pop. I signed a petition once. Gawd do I love them so.

Sleeping Mommy said...

I am so jealous. We haven't been able to get Jello pudding pops around here since I was a kid!