Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Bully

Has anyone else seen this movie? To state it bluntly, this film is pretty fucking sick and twisted. Drug abuse, rape, brutal violence – all among a group of teenagers. I'm left
wondering just who I was supposed to be rooting for, if any of the characters have any redeeming qualities other than Lisa's mother, and what lesson I was supposed to take away. Am I supposed to think that no matter how hard I tried to be a great parent, supportive in my child's endeavors, trying to keep bad influences away from them, that my kid is going to be a devil spawn that spends her days getting knocked up, knocked out, and drugged out of her skull? Oh, and maybe raped once in a while by someone she'll then plot to have killed? I was watching this film with my headphones on while Hay talked to his parents on the phone and I actually needed to pause it to check back in with reality only to realize that I was super angry, taking everything the wrong way, ready to get into a physical fight if anyone tried to mess with me (yah, like that's gonna happen...). If you've seen it I'd really appreciate your comment about it. Did you just think it was a messed up movie, or did you actually learn something from it? Did you feel ashamed, disgusted, fearful, enraged, bitter, amped, ...?

5 comments:

bdogg_mcgee said...

I haven't seen it, and I'm certainly not going to now!!!

:)

Bonez said...

I don't watch those kinds of movies just for those very reasons. There is too much garbage and insanity in life already without me filling my head with such trash trying to pass for entertainment. Thanks for the heads up on this one as I wasn't aware of it yet.

Elizabeth Tarney said...

I haven't seen Bully, but I did see Kids, which came out about 5-7 years ago. Kids was all about drug abuse, rape, contracting STDs, etc. It left me feeling empty and scared. I was depressed for days after seeing that movie and quite frankly every time I think about it I shudder.

bdogg_mcgee said...

Oh, Lil, I saw that movie too, and it was the biggest downer ever. So depressing!

Leaving Las Vegas was depressing like that, too. I went to the theater and saw it and afterwards felt like jumping off a cliff.

Elizabeth Tarney said...

bdogg - OMG. I think I blocked out Leaving Las Vegas as a defense mechanism. I sobbed so hard during that movie that I was hyperventilating. Same thing with Requim for a Dream. Talk. About. Depressing.

This is why I like action and adventure so much. Give me Lord of the Rings or Star Wars any day!