Sunday, February 26, 2006

An Oprah lightbulb moment

She seriously says profound things without even trying. I was watching an episode of Campus Ladies (sorta similar to Strangers with Candy but not exactly) on Oxygen which finished and Oprah after the show came on. Oprah opened the after show about being in debt by trying to keep up with the Joneses with the following little gem:

“[E]verybody was born to do great things in their own life, and as long as you are trying to be somebody else you will never be what you were created to be.”

This is such great advice. I am not big on Oprah like I used to be, but I can appreciate when she's trying to help keep me on a good life path, and this is one of those times. It's time to live my life and not worry about the people around me making more money or having more tangible possessions. What was I born to do? Not make more money than my next door neighbor. I am here to be compassionate, accepting, and loving. That's me. Worrying about having money, prestige, filet mignon every night: Not me.

That said, who are you?

2 comments:

Helen said...

Ha! I saw an episode of Campus Ladies and it was hysterical! And I USED to be addicted to Oprah!
Peace...................

Poppy said...

Me too. I was so obsessed with her that I wanted to move to Chicago and work for her. Thankfully I came to my senses, because I already live in the most beautiful place in the country, it'd be a shame to move to the big city. I still watch her from time to time, but I tell myself not to become obsessed. :)