Sunday, September 04, 2005

Donate your wedding dress?

I read this touching news story about a couple who were supposed to be married the day that Katrina hit. The bride-to-be tucked the marriage license into her purse. Today, after losing everything to the hurricane except that marriage license, the couple were wed in a shelter.

In my giving spirit I couldn't help but think maybe I should donate my wedding dress to the victims, in case someone else wants to be married but doesn't have the money for a dress. I'm not ever going to wear it again... I don't want anyone to criticize me for this next comment because it's just true and that's that: My wedding dress is not something I would have picked had I been a small enough size to be able to choose anything in the store. The dress I bought was the only one that fit, and it served its purpose. It's a beautiful dress, it looked fabulous on me, but I have memories and photographs. Do I really need to keep holding onto the dress?

I'm certain that if I say this idea out loud Mr. Poppy will discourage me with every fiber of his being, but I thought I'd at least share it with blogland so that I could pretend that I did it. :)

3 comments:

Joanne said...

If I were married I think I would donate it. Just because I like the idea of something that made me happy making someone else happy. (And I don't think there's anything wrong with your other sentiment either. Sometimes we make do with what we've got.)

Elizabeth said...

You can probably donate your wedding dress to The Glass Slipper Project (URL below). They also accept other dresses, such as prom and bridesmaid dresses. I sent them my bridesmaid's dress from my friend's wedding. It made me feel good.

http://www.glassslipperproject.org/

Mindi said...

I think it is a beautiful idea to donate your wedding dress. And what a touching story.