Saturday, September 03, 2005

No napkin left behind

Mr. Poppy and I were digging in the dirt of the backyard when he noticed a girl (10ish) walking around our property. He sent me to talk to her. I found her walking through the vegetable gardens to get to us. She asked us for bottles "for the victims of the hurricane". We don't have bottles (or cans), the last kid who visited took them all for his cause. So, I gave her cash then asked Mr. P to open the car with the remote opener and he hesitantly obliged. I grabbed the renegade box of sanitary napkins, then walked up to this girl's mother to verify that giving the sanitary napkins would truly be appropriate. Apparently so, they took the napkins!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that after food, water, shelter, and clothing, a sanitary napkin is actually a necessity for a woman. If she doesn't use those, then tampons. The tampons made it to the checkpoint yesterday, but if you're wandering around the streets for days with the same old tampon you're very likely to go into toxic shock; if you have to wear the same panty liner you're not going to get sick from that. I'm very glad that the opportunity presented itself for me to get that 80 count box of napkins on their way to those who need them.

1 comment:

Ally said...

So true - and something that you don't truly appreciate until you don't have them.