Friday, September 02, 2005

Everybody loves Ray(du)monde

"Now get off your asses and do something, and let's fix the biggest goddamn crisis in the history of this country."
- Mayor Ray Nagin speaking about the lack of government assistance provided to his city of New Orleans before, during, and after Hurricane Katrina


Read the entire transcript of Mayor Nagin's interview with radio reporter Garland Robinette at Jürgen Nation. I give you a standing ovation, Mayor Nagin. If there were anything more that I could do besides give "money or merchandise" as they said at the donation collection center, I certainly would. When the city is being rebuilt and you need computer help, I'm there.

1 comment:

Poppy said...

I realize I'm the one who posted Ray's comment in the first place, but now that I've had some more time to see CNN blame everyone under the sun for failures, I think the time for finger pointing should be later, after all those who are still trapped in disease-filled storm water are rescued. Definitely time to figure out who is in charge and make sure they do their jobs.

I am baffled by the number of people who were still in their homes during a mandatory evacuation. Where my mother and step-father live there is enough organized law enforcement to go door to door, checking that everyone has left or has a way to leave before the hurricanes hit (when there is enough time).

I'm absolutely certain that my state would get a big old F in the face of natural disaster aftermath, but we're doing a fantastic job at organizing money, supplies, and volunteers to be used for the victims of Katrina.