Friday, September 23, 2005

The Station Agent

Last night the Poppy household watched The Station Agent starring Peter Dinklage (Miles Finch in Elf) as Fin, a little person who has a Ph.D. and a model train store. He is trying to get through life without being noticed because he is tired of all the negative attention he receives when people first meet him. His friend dies and leaves him a train station depot in a small rural town. Fin moves into the depot to try to achieve his goal of a quiet life. Bobby Cannavale (Will's last season cop boyfriend on Will & Grace) is Joe, a man who is happy to live life to the fullest, even in a very small town. He tries his best to befriend Fin, whose depot home is next door to his snack truck business, and eventually succeeds. Patricia Clarkson (the mom in Pieces of April) is Olivia, a divorced artist who, since the tragic death of her son, is also trying to live life without being noticed. She meets Fin when she almost runs him over twice because she is distracted.

There are other characters that are integral to the plot line but Fin, Joe, and Olivia are present throughout as three very different people who come together by chance. The movie reminds me of Sideways in that nothing really seems to happen by the end of the movie, but if you give yourself a minute to think about it you realize that both Fin and Olivia have overcome their demons and re-enter life with a more positive outlook. It's such a charming and understated film. I highly recommend it if you have the time to watch a movie about everyday life. No special effects, no high drama, no happy ending - just a slice of life.

3 comments:

bandick said...

I loved this movie. LOVED!

Maven said...

I saw Station Agent and Pieces of April the same week they came out. Both of them are poignant stories. I enjoyed Station Agent even more. "Little Person" or not, I thought Peter Dinklage was smoldering and sexy and confident.

PS: If you're a Sex and the City junkie like I am, you'll recognize Bobby Cannavale as the guy with funky spunk.

Patricia Clarkson was fantastic in both movies. She's an oft-over looked actress, and although she doesn't have the same recognition as Meryl Streep (who does great characters and accents), I believe Clarkson is of the same caliber of actress.

Interesting NJ footnote: Cannavale & Dinkleage are both from NJ; and the Station Agent was filmed I believe in Roxbury, in Morris County.

Poppy said...

Pieces of April was infinitely better than I ever expected it to be. At first I mistook Patricia Clarkson for Anne Heche (who I just can't stand after the falling out with Ellen, sorry all the Anne lovers!) but then I looked her up in IMDb and realized she was someone else completely, and now I love Patricia. :)

Yes, Peter is sexy. He has a very chiseled face which makes him hot. :) I loved him in Elf, until the end of his role when he jumps at Will Farrell. That was just embarrassing.

I recognize Mr. Funky Spunk now! I wondered why he looked so familiar on Will & Grace last year...

The scenery in the film is absolutely gorgeous, way to go New Jersey!