Thursday, September 15, 2005

Box of thank yous

Every time someone sends me a personal or professional email with the words "thank you" included I save it to my folder called "thankyous". My original intentions for the folder were to have a quick lift-me-up on a day I was feeling blue, and to store justifications for salary increases or job title changes. In the 3+ years I've had the folder I've never once visited it, but I find comfort in knowing it's there. I feel good about keeping the notes for cheering me up, but I feel guilty and conniving for the other reason. What do you think?

5 comments:

Joanne said...

I see nothing wrong with it. I used to do it too. Not so much at my current job but at the tech job I had, I needed it for that 2nd reason. They were all about 'keeping me in my place' and not good with growth opportunities, so I kept it to show that I am a capable person.

Mel said...

I think this is awesome! Don't feel guilty at all... how else are you to prove that you are a hard, responsible worker?

I print out all the flattering emails that I am sent at work and keep them in a file folder. When I have a terrible day, I pull them out and remember that people do appreciate my work. And then I also have them all in one place for when my annual evaluation comes around!

kris said...

Sounds smart to me. On both counts! :)

Diana Crabtree said...

I have a folder called "I feel loved" I put thank yous and e-mails I just don't want to throw away in there because they make me feel, well, loved.

Conniving? PUH-LEEZ!

I think it's motivation to do more nice things! Great idea!

jules said...

I keep tons of emails from friends, etc. For me, if it makes you feel something, good or bad, or makes you cry or laugh out loud or smile really big, it's worth keeping & revisiting!