Thursday, March 29, 2007

AI quickie and idiom spotcheck

I am not kidding when I say I was really drunk last night. I watched American Idol's vote-off show but I only remember bits and pieces: Gwen performed a less than enthusiastic Sweet Escape and Chris Sligh got kicked off before his time. He wasn't going to win the whole thing, but he wasn't the worst last night. I enjoyed him while he was around. Such is life.

Did you know that in French the idiom equivalent of "such is life" is "c'est la vie, c'est la guerre"? Idioms are so fascinating to me...

2 comments:

Penny said...

..which directly translates to "That is life, that is war" and we all know how much the french know about war. ;)

My favourite french saying is, "Plus ca changes, plus c'est les meme choses." (pardon the lack of accents).

Poppy said...

That's definitely a good one, too.

My favorite one is insulting a non-native speaker's French-speaking skills: Tu parles français comme une vache espagnole!