Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Block addresses without having your own server so you don't inflate your hit count

Edit: At Avi's suggestion that this wasn't what I thought it was I looked at the settings and found that this feature is just so you don't inflate your daily hit count. Here's the official wording from their site:

"IP Blocking
You can specify your IP Address or a range such as 212.14.23.* or even 212.*.*.* to be blocked. This prevents you or someone from your organisation inflating your count. Put each IP address on a new line with no spaces if you want it blocked. Or empty the box if you want to count all visits."


Still useful, just not in the way I had hoped. I wasn't thinking clearly. It's been a day, as you know already. But, perhaps you find this feature useful so I'll leave it up.

StatCounter is kind enough to offer a blocking service on any blog or site they help you manage traffic. Here's the details via email:

    Dear Poppy Cede,

    -----------------------------------------------
    Get your BLOCKs off....
    -----------------------------------------------
    Well no actually, get your blocks on....because we've added another new
    feature to StatCounter!

    Rather than just blocking individual IP addresses, you can now block a
    whole range.

    And yes - before you ask - you can block an IP address range across all
    your projects now with just one click!

    To use this feature simply login to your account.

    - Click the 'wrench' icon beside one of your projects.
    - Click 'edit settings'.
    - Enter the ip addresses and ranges you would like to block.
    - If you want to update all projects with this, click the box below it.

    That's it!



3 comments:

Avitable said...

I thought it just blocked the IP from being counted when it did stats. It blocks that person from viewing your site? I'm not sure I know how it would do that.

Poppy said...

Well, that's not impressive! Who the hell cares about that? Oh... so you don't count yourself, or something? Hmm. I think the dead fish is getting to me.

Anonymous said...

Avitable has a point - I, too, got the same letter in my inbox this morning. I already use their cookies option to block my computer's visits automatically.

StatCoutner is GOD - no other service comes close to them; not even FeedBurner or Google Analytics. StatCounter may not be pretty but it gets the job done!