Monday, March 05, 2007

Something you may not know about me that doesn't fit into my 50 things

I love the ocean. I love lighthouses. I love the beach. I love anything to do with those three items. My favorite places on the planet are next to the ocean and two of them have lighthouses (York, ME and its surrounding towns; Peggys Cove, Halifax, NS, Canada). I particularly enjoyed Peggys Cove when I was in Nova Scotia a few year's back because it's a lighthouse on the ocean with a restaurant attached. You can get soaked by the roaring waves and spitting ocean spray then go into the lighthouse to buy stamps then into the restaurant to buy waffles. What's not to love?!

Also, it's totally rad that they decided in 1976 to just drop their apostrophe, since my apostrophe key doesn't work very well.



1 - The restaurant at which you eat the waffles.
* - The best place to sit in order to be sprayed by the ocean and feel like you're about to die (cliffs of insanity).
2 - Where you buy stamps, because that's what you do when you're at a lighthouse...? :)


Images borrowed from Wikipedia. Stunning...

8 comments:

Avitable said...

Amy loves lighthouses and the ocean. And I love waffles. We might have to take a trip.

... said...

I am moving to a place near a lighthouse in the next 6 months...I'll post a pic when I get there...

Stefanie said...

I'm sure this comes as no surprise to you, but I am entirely bothered and perplexed by the dropping of the apostrophe. WHY, Peggys Cove, WHY??

Poppy said...

Avi - If Amy ever wants to do the national lighthouse tour let her know I'm down for that.

Mishka - I very much look forward to that picture!!!

Stef - Just to bother you. I'm confident of that. :P (My real guess: The locals don't like punctuation. There's only 50 of them, and if they all don't want to use an ' then I think they win.)

Bonez said...

Why what a passionate post on something you love so dearly. You've convinced me to start researching a personal trip to see for myself the Cliffs of Insanity :) Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I love the ocean too. I've always lived on the water (and stll do); I can't imagine not living near water. I miss I miss being in Florida with a house on the water and our own beach. :(

Penny said...

Poppy - if you like Peggys Cove, you'd love Long Point Lighthouse, in Twillingate, Newfoundland.

Tell you the truth, you'd love almost all the shoreline of Newfoundland.

Do a search - it makes Peggys Cove look like nuthin'.

Poppy said...

Tony - Very cool! I can now die happy knowing that I've encouraged one more person to visit the cove. :)

Spéncèr - Yay, ocean! Boo, not living on it anymore.

Penny - Now I am WAY excited to go to Newfoundland!!! Woohoo!!!