Wednesday, June 08, 2005

This happened to a friend of mine

When I was in elementary school my gym teacher forced me to squaredance with a boy. The only boy who wanted anything to do with me, an unfortunately chunky but otherwise very nice little girl, was sweet about the whole thing. I didn't have a crush on him, just an appreciation for him. Fast forward to 4 years later. I am attending a different school, because I went to many different schools as a kid. My grandmother is clipping out articles from old issues of the newspaper, hands one to my mother, then my mom whisks me away for a private chat. Squaredancing boy was trying to pull his neighbor's dog out of the road, which happened to be a US highway, when a big truck came along and smooshed him dead. Not for nothing - the dog was fine.

Today CNN treats me to the above fond memory with a story about a girl who died saving a turtle:
FORT MYERS, Florida (AP) -- A 6-year-old girl darted into traffic to save a turtle and was killed when she was hit by a car, officials said.

Emily Kent was riding with her mother Sunday when they spotted the turtle trying to cross busy U.S. 41.

Geraldine Kent pulled over so they could help, and Emily jumped out as her mother screamed at her to wait, friends said. The first-grader was struck by a car and died of her injuries. No charges had been filed.

"I've had a lot of drivers swerve to avoid a raccoon or another animal and wreck their cars," said Sgt. Owen Keen of the Florida Highway Patrol. "I've never had anyone go to help an animal and get run over."

Friends and family said Emily was an animal lover who would often try to catch turtles and snakes and never went far without her dog, Alexis.

Sad. A moment of silence for the animal savers...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, now I feel like crap...the finches and all.....

Poppy said...

Oh, don't feel like crap. That's never my intention. I'm just sharing life experiences.