Friday, March 10, 2006

NYC virtual tour

Jules and I have been chatting quite a bit lately with Gmail chat. It's still beta so it's kinda spazzy funky, but it gets the job done.

We were talking Monday about hearing emergency vehicle sirens and Jules said she lives on a particular street in NYC to emphasize her point that she hears sirens all. the. time., to which I innocently responded “I've heard of that street, but I don't know the implications of it. A high crime area?” That was that, Jules said I needed a day trip to NYC so that I understood the city better. A day trip to NYC is not in my very near future so she came up with the brilliant idea of leading me around NYC via virtual tour.

We are using Google maps to view the tour and Gmail chat so Jules can tell me what's at each destination. We are having a great time! I can't believe there's so much to know about the city. It makes so much more sense to me now, and helps me understand why it's the best city in the world. :)

Jules is sending me a map of the subway system which we will use for further discussion when she returns from her ski weekend. I plan to compile all my notes from the tour and write them up. She's telling me some interesting facts which are definitely worth sharing! Stay tuned for Jules and Poppy's adventures in virtual NYC!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Tarney said...

That's cool and could totally use it to your benefit the next time you go to NYC!

Google Earth just released a virtual helicopter tour of the Hayward Fault, so people can go on it and see how close they are to getting awallowed up by the earth!

acw said...

This sounds so cool! I'd love to take people on virtual tours of Baltimore.