Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Tradition

One of our employees is from Rwanda. Her family has just joined her in the States and they had no winter clothing. To show our support, appreciation, and giving spirit we collected clothing, presents, and money to give to the family at today's pot luck holiday party*.

To show their thanks in return the entire family performed a traditional dance. It was beautiful, touching, and my eyes welled up with tears. Their appreciation is a gift, their sharing of culture is something to treasure. Unfortunately my camera is with Hay today so I could not take a video of the dance, but trust me when I say it was beautiful and my "bad day" is a distant memory.


*I made cheese triangles. With the leftover phyllo dough I made cinnamon phyllo toast: brush butter on a sheet of dough, sprinkle to coat with a cinnamon and sugar mixture, repeat for about 5 layers, top with a sheet of dough brushed with butter, then bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F.

1 comment:

kris said...

Beautiful. How wonderful!