Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Not to be mean, but...

Hay and I both disliked The Producers immensely. It was uncomfortable, only mildly amusing at best when Will Ferrell wasn't on the screen, and I'm pretty sure if I had to pretend that Nazi Germany was funny for 30 seconds longer I would have thrown up. Rotten Tomatoes has a few reviews about the movie that sum up our dislike:
"By the end you're asking yourself if they went to any trouble at all or simply took a film camera to a performance of the musical itself"
-- Joe Utichi, FILMFOCUS

"Static camera work alienates the audience."
-- Audrey Rock-Richardson, TOOELE TRANSCRIPT-BULLETIN (UTAH)

"I really can't believe that Nathan, Matthew, or Uma chose to be involved in this film. Bad career decision especially for Uma."
-- Poppy Cede, POPPY CEDES (har har)

Oh well, won't be the worst movie I ever see in my life...

6 comments:

bdogg_mcgee said...

Bummer! And with the original so awesome!

If you haven't, please rent the original film with Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel. It is classic Mel Brooks and a fabulous film.....DH and I laughed our butts off.

Poppy said...

Jules said the same thing about the original. I'll need to add it to the Netflix queue.

melissa said...

Note to self: don't go see it.

You haven't seen the actual musical have you? I haven't, but my hubby (who's NOT AT ALL interested in musicals/theater) wants to.

I may have to check out the original, though!

NotCarrie said...

I haven't seen the new movie but did love the original so I'm curious...

Bella said...

Thanks for the heads up. I really had no intentions on seeing it and now I think I'll just pretend that it doesn't exist.

Bello loves Will Ferrel. Honestly, the guy irritates me.

Poppy said...

Just to update: We put the 1968 version at the top of our Netflix queue. Woohoo!