Saturday, December 10, 2005

Probably not a reach for Johnny Knoxville

The Farrelly Brothers have spent 7 years making The Ringer starring Johnny Knoxville as a Special Olympics athlete.

For some reason the Special Olympics has embraced this film, and I'm left wondering if that was a wise decision. My niece is a Special Olympics athlete. My stepmother's sister and brother-in-law work for our local Special Olympics chapter. It's not a joke, it's real people competing in sporting events.

I love Farrelly Brothers films because of how crass they are, but I'm not sure how this one will sit with me.

4 comments:

carrie said...

farrelly brothers exploit the disabled in pretty much every movie they make.

in dumb and dumber they sold a dead bird to a blind kid.

in something about mary they mocked "exceptional" people.

in shallow hal it was burn victims and spina bifida.

stuck on you with the siamese twins.

just to name a few.
I don't know..seems about par to me.

Diana Crabtree said...

I think it could be good.

I thought the Warren character in "Something about Mary" was more than a caricature, and in "Stuck on you" they were characters that struggled with the same things everyone else does, you really care about them.

I REALLY see Carrie's point though, they sure do see the disabled as fair game to poke fun at.

I tend to like their movies, to my eyes, they mock everyone, across the board, and the jokes seem to be balanced with sweetness.

But I can still see where you are coming from.

Poppy said...

I am fully aware of my hypocrite status on this one. I acknowledge that because it affects me directly I take offense, whereas when the Brothers make fun of other types of people I'm not bothered. I'm pretty sure I'll still see the movie, still laugh, but will most likely feel guilty. Perhaps I need to accept the offer of my supervisor's supervisor to participate in the Polar Plunge to raise money for the Special Olympics... :)

Joanne said...

I too would be concerned, although reading the article it seems like they worked very hard to make it sensitive without making it "sensitive."

Actually, though, I'm not a huge Farrelly brothers fan so I doubt I'll see it anyway. It does, however, sound like an episode of South Park I saw some time ago where Cartman decides to enter the Special Olympics.