Thursday, August 25, 2005

When the ones you love go missing

So, I've read around the web that Olivia Newton-John's "special friend" (aka boyfriend) has been missing for 7 weeks now. Last known whereabouts were on the open sea. Boat found, belongings found, special friend not found.

When someone who is constantly in my life (in person or electronically) suddenly vanishes off the face of my planet, I assume the worst. Dead. Bloody in a ditch somewhere. Held captive. Et cetera. Am I the only one? I know parents worry about their kids when they miss curfew, but my worry seems possibly like a chemical imbalance. I saw my husband pass by as I was turning out of the grocery store parking lot on a non-carpool day. When I got home he was not there. I was half-way on the fence of "oh, I just missed seeing him turn into the gas station" and "OH MY GOD, HE'S BEEN KILLED IN A CAR CRASH!" I really wish I wouldn't do that. It's very unsettling, and not at all helpful to anyone...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, you're right. I wish you had Trackback. We are twins - it is scary how similar we are! ((hug)) What was it you called me? Your blister? (Blog-Sister?) So true.

Mel said...

i do the same thing. I'm such a worry wart.

acw said...

There's a fine line between worry wart and overreacting.

I think you're on the safe side.

Poppy said...

JN -Frister, friend sister, because I thought blister was just mean. :) maybe we're bristers, which is just another bad thing. How about just frister. :)

Mel and AC - Thanks for reassuring.

And, WHY am I checking block comments? My Sharpie is still missing, 30 CDs left to burn, and my Word document still needs to be recreated from scratch. AAAAAAAAH!

Lisa said...

If my mother calls on a different night or at a different time of day, I answer the phone saying, "What's wrong?"

And I worry about my coworkers if they are late to work---at least the ones I like.

Poppy said...

Once I called my friend/co-worker at home because nobody had heard from her all morning. Turns out she left a voicemail message for two people saying she was sick, but it was never delivered. I believe that.

Anonymous said...

I think the absolutely most gory horrible thoughts when anyone is late or not where they should be!

Sleeping Mommy said...

You are soooo not alone.