Friday, August 12, 2005

Political inquiry

Oh, the things that pop up in my head. I am in the process of eating dinner, not finished yet, but didn't want to forget my thought... Dave Letterman was cracking a monologue joke about President Bush being on vacation, and it occurred to me to wonder, "did other presidents go on vacation while we were at war?" I'm not going to research this myself. I'd like the fiesties who visit to answer the question with their vast well of political knowledge (because everyone knows I don't have one of those...). So? Anyone know the answer, or care to hypothesize? :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno, but I heard that he's been on vacation for about 25% of his presidency. No source, sorry. Just something that went in and came out of the other ear right away.

Poppy said...

Lee, haven't seen the film yet (will wait till Sep 13 for it to be out on DVD), but did read all the books. Hopefully our world is not doomed, but I'm losing faith by the minute.

Who are the puppeteers pulling the strings? Is he our president because he's the only one who doesn't care about looking absolutely stupid on camera/in front of large groups of people?

Lisa said...

He's our president because he comes from a wealthy, respected (in conservative circles) family and because he is much more charismatic than the puppeteers (Rove, Cheney, et al.).

I found this on counterbias.com. I won't swear by its accuracy, but . . . the vacation times of the previous administrations:
* President Jimmy Carter (D): 79 Days (over 1 term - 4 years)
* President Ronald Reagan (R): 335 days (over 2 terms - 8 years)
* President George H. W. Bush (R): 543 days (over 1 term - 4 years)
* President William J. Clinton (D): 152 days (over 2 terms - 8 years)
* President George W. Bush (R) Texas: 250 days (as of Aug. '03, less than one term!)

I've seen some chatter about FDR taking a two-week fishing trip in 1940---after WWII had begun---but that's still well before the U.S. entered the war. Supposedly Lincoln took extended vacations during the Civil War, but I can't find much specific on that.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember hearing so much about any president's vacation at all!