Monday, August 15, 2005

Born in South London and raised on welfare by her single mother,181218196_m vocalist/lyricist/musician/composer Ellie Lawson is an artist whose compelling voice and rich sonic landscape reflect a life journey of personal determination and self-discovery. With musical influences ranging from Kate Bush to A Tribe Called Quest, Tracy Chapman to KRS-One, Nick Drake to the Fugees, Ellie has invented a unique musical world that is both beat-driven and organic, lyrical and edgy, thoughtful and entrancing. The songs on her brilliant debut album, "The Philosophy Tree," were largely composed by Ellie in her bedroom.

Hear some of Ellie's work at myspace or her official site. Purchase Ellie's album exclusively at Barnes & Noble.

Confession: I bought this while at B&N looking for Sia's album. Ellie's CD was at the checkout counter with a sticker that said "as seen on ellen degeneres" which then prompted me to think, "if it's good enough for ellen then it's good enough for me!" so I picked it up. I have no other reason for suggesting that you buy it. I am listening to the album for the very first time right now.

No comments: