Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Runaway bride draws lawn mower duty

LAWRENCEVILLE, Georgia (AP) -- Runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks mowed the lawn of a government building Tuesday as part of her court-ordered community service for lying to police after she ran off days before her scheduled wedding.

The Jennifer Wilbanks mini makeover...

Before:After:



Wearing an orange community service vest, a ball cap that said "Life is good" and running shoes, Wilbanks seemed upbeat as she pushed a powered mower by a swarm of reporters and photographers. She briefly spoke when the mower's engine died in some tall grass.

"I'm doing well," said Wilbanks, who has been undergoing mental health treatment. She admitted with a laugh that it had been a long time since she had mowed a lawn.

"I need to get back to work. I don't want to get into trouble," she added.


In all, she was ordered to do 120 hours of service. Wilbanks had already completed 16 hours of her sentence by cleaning probation offices and washing public vehicles. State Department of Corrections spokeswoman Peggy Chapman said Wilbanks planned to work off eight more hours Tuesday, also picking up trash. (Rest)

This is not punishment! I love to mow the lawn! I just mowed our lawn for 2 1/2 hours last night!

This woman even has a fricking Wikipedia entry! I am not jealous, I am just annoyed.

7 comments:

Bella said...

LOL

Personally, I think 120 hours is a little excessive. I mean, she is a runaway bride and technically, yeah, she did lie to the police but honestly, no one was hurt except for their pride.

Jesus, even people who get DUI's don't get that much; 48 hours is the average.

Poppy said...

I think the sentence was too light. She wasted a lot of people's time, time which was paid or unpaid, and cannot be reimbursed. She also broke the law by fabricating a story to law enforcement. At least she's taking the job seriously by worrying about getting back to work and not getting in trouble. She could end up like Martha, who now has to wear her bracelet for three more weeks because she went to yoga class!

jules said...

I want to see what her eyes look like when she's mowing the lawn! Poppy - there is a picture you'd love, here:
http://twistofkate.blogspot.com
scroll down past the few top picts.

cheese - oops, I mean cheers!

Miss Penny Lane said...

She should get a hell of a lot more than mowing lawns. You know what would be really funny? If she was forced to work in a bridal salon and deal with all those bitchy brides. Anyway, she did break the law, and she did cost a couple of police departments a LOT of money...

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Poppy & Miss Penny. She lied to the police and fabricated a story, which led to wasted manpower. I'm just glad they didn't find an African American and Latino who matched her description. This was the turning point for me. Anything less and community service would have been okay, if any at all. But after she said that, I think she got off easy.

Poppy said...

Jules, adorable pic!! I wish I had a cheese hat!!!

duff said...

there was a different lawn mowing picture that ran with this story in our newspaper today....though i'm afraid both her feet were neatly attached, which is not nearly as interesting as this photo.

thanks for the link, by the way.