Monday, August 29, 2005

Rock that shit homie*

So, I am driving my co-workers (one male, one female) from H-E-L-L back to our office at 6ish tonight and I have the radio tuned to a top 40 station with a "hip hop" song playing. I'd call it more hip pop, but whatever. Male co-worker asks me if I like hip hop and I say I do. He tells me that he recently was at a high school event where "the kids were scratching, do you know what that is?" and I'm thinking "yah, I know what scratching used to be, but maybe it's been reinvented into something new" and then he tells me "it's where they play a record and - " *hand movement back and forth to signal air scratching* I...look at him and think, "where the hell have you been for the last 20 years?" but I just smile and say, "oh, neat!"

Is scratching not commonly known? Granted, he grew up in Kansas, but...um...I think people in Kansas know what scratching is too. Right?? (And, just for the sake of anyone who doesn't know what it is but would like to, here's Scratching 101.)

*De La Soul as hip hop:
Cool breeze
Rock that shit homie
Rock
Lyte as a
Rock
A a a a a as a rock
Cool breeze
Rockin' it rockin' it
Rock
You gotta rock it
Keep on rockin'
Rock's the best
Rockin' music
Cool breeze
The king
Of rock'n'roll
Rock rock
This world for you
King Adrock
Rock those bells
I want
Body body rock body body rock
You are now rockin' with the best
I put this together to
Rock the house
Michael?
"I wanna"
Rock!
"With you"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Potholes in my lawn...(who stole, who stole, who stole the cookie
from the cookie jar?)

Poppy said...

Every girl has a Jenny. And you know, that's the word we use for it when we're not in the bedroom. ;)

acw said...

How many feathers are there on a Purdue chicken?

In the same year I saw Mixmaster Mike and Ali Shahid Mohammed scratch the MESS out of some records. Those guys are the best I've ever seen.

Poppy said...

Like it was yesterday...