Wednesday, July 27, 2005

"Not now, I have a headache" and other ramblings

This morning I woke up with a headache. It's mild, so it's just more of a nuisance than anything else, but why today? I'd like it if my body could at least explain why I have a headache. Am I catching (another freakin) cold, do I have a brain tumor, is the weather affecting my sinuses, or does my head just hate me today? C'mon body, you know you want to tell me, so just do it!

I work in two different offices. One of my offices has a mouse. Each day that I come to this particular office I find mouse turdies on my desk. So, I go to the kitchen, grab a long sheet of brown paper towel and the FantastiK bottle, I spray down my desk, wipe the turdies away, throw away the towel, return the FantastiK to its resting place, wash my hands, then set up my laptop. I'd really like to strike a deal with the mouse. He can turd anywhere else in the room, even on any of the other desks (there are three in my office, even though I don't share this office with anyone), but I would like him to stop pooing on the desk I actually use. It's the desk I like the most -- the one that lets me face the entrance to my office. I am easily startled so I can't have my back to the door. How about it, Mr. Mouse? Poop on the other desks, but leave this one alone? There's no food in the room, no food on my desk, it definitely doesn't even have any tasty residue since I've FantastiKed it 4 times now. I'm happy to share my office with you, but no more poopies on my desk so that I don't have to worry about catching Hanta virus every day I'm here?

Yesterday I received a gift from my pal Roger who is in Iraq. It was a rug made in Saudi Arabia with some famous building on it. I think it's a temple, probably in Mecca, but I cannot find a photo that looks similar to it. The rug is in my other office, so tomorrow I will bring my digital camera and take a picture of the rug to post. As soon as I can figure out how, I'll be mounting the rug on a wall in that office. The office walls are made of cinder block, so I can't just tack it to the wall. One of my two officemates in that office had some great suggestions for how to mount it, which involve obtaining supplies from the business manager's office. He's away right now, and I feel silly asking someone for their key so that I can break in and get some office supplies, so I'll just wait until he comes back. I'd bring it home, but I really think that this rug "belongs" to everyone who has helped make Roger feel supported while he is away from family and friends, so I'm keeping it at work.

Today in this office with the mouse droppings I received a gift from a client who I helped all day Wednesday to get his computers up-to-date. This client used to be ornery, but a series of life and career changes have turned him into a very kind person. While I was in his office I showed him pictures of the garden tour and he showed me a flower picture that I absolutely loved. He said he could give it to me if I liked, but I didn't reply. Today, in my mailbox, I find a card with the photo mounted. It is beautiful -- a Mexican sunflower with a bee nesting in the stamens, and a little green bug sitting on a petal. Since it's his photo I'm not going to take a picture and post it, but the Mexican sunflower itself looked just like the Mexican sunflower picture that I took during the garden tour:

DSC00217_1


Beautiful! I'm definitely going to grow these next year. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I woke up with a bloody nose.

I just felt like posting.

P'nut said...

I love meeses to pieces! Obviously he likes the desk as much as you, but for different reasons. I don't know what to suggest except maybe something that he wouldn't like his little feeties touching. But I don't know what that would be for a mouse (don't use anything sticky, cut their tootsies are delicate!). Have you thought about buying one of those sonic doohickies? You plug it in the wall and it emits a high frequency sound that deters mice from staying in the room... I can't remember what it's called.

Poppy said...

Slight dilemma: I don't mind the mouse sharing my office. In fact, I'm kinda flattered. I just don't think pooping on my desk is very considerate. I do have a kitty litter box in my office (from when I got Georgie from my co-worker whose cat had kittens), maybe I could just stick that up on the desk every night and the mouse could at least use the litter box. :)