Monday, July 25, 2005

Country rides and din-din

I live in the country. Sure, the road I live on is paved, but that's only because it was a condition of building the homes in the middle of the (now deceased) farmer's meadow so that the town could have the other 40 acres of common land around our neighborhood. Sometimes farm animals "happen" in our neighborhood. Today was one of those times...

Meet Billy:

Billy


He belongs to this boy in the orange:

billy-tractor


Billy is a sheep, not a goat, but that doesn't stop him from eating the neighbor-across-the-street's lawn:

Billy-eating


This is a picture of Billy being dragged off by another boy, although I am not sure why, because he just walked him right back down the street:

billy-dragging


(The flash went off, made the picture look overexposed...)

And, of course, here's a broken down tractor that the neighbor kids were using to travel around with the sheep:

broke-down-tractor

The biggest kid asked our other neighbor across the street (the one with the dog who doesn't like me and peed in my garden) for jumper cables and a battery. Must have worked, because the tractor's gone now. :)

I asked the boy in the orange shirt about Billy. He is the family's pet sheep, but this Fall Billy will become dinner. Although, if the family gets another sheep Billy will remain their pet. I told him some people eat their pets, and that's just life, but that I hope he does get another sheep so Billy doesn't have to be dinner. (What else could I say?)

3 comments:

Joanne said...

I know that farm animals are food. I get that the cute little cow I see in a field may be destined to be my dinner and quite possibly a cute jacket too. HOWEVER, I could never eat something I knew and had named and petted etc. I think that would be too much for me. I wouldn't be able to eat Billy stew for dinner.

P'nut said...

You could have said, "dear child, you just let me know when the evil deed is to take place and I shall sneak onto your property all ninja-style, kidnap Billy, and bring him to my house where you can visit him anytime you like".

You could've said that.

Poppy said...

There's still time for me to say that! I see that kid on our street quite a bit. No idea why this is the first time he's brought along Billy. In fact, the sheep that we are sponsoring was going to be eaten but was saved, so now I feel like it is my life's mission to save Billy. Hmm. Unfortunately Billy looked like he was being very well taken care of, so I can't just call and report the family because they're going to turn Billy into mutton stew...