Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Countrymen suspected responsible for London bombing

Clarke 'shocked bombers British'

Home Secretary Charles Clarke has said he is "shocked" the suspected London suicide bombers were British-born.

Mr Clarke said the attacks were a "clarion call" for everybody in the UK to defend their society rather than assume "we are all OK".

The Muslim community especially must "stand out" against the ideology which promotes bombings, he told BBC News.

He said he would consider all means necessary - including deportation - against those fomenting terrorism.

(Rest of story)

Does anyone else not feel quite right about Clarke's comments? If I am Italian, born and raised in Italy as a Catholic, and someone who is also Italian, born and raised, and is Catholic decides to bomb Rome, why is it suddenly my responsibility to make sure this doesn't happen again? This is a societal and global problem! Focusing the fix on "the group" that "represents" the bombers (I say that loosely, because your religion or faith has nothing to do with your ultimate reason for choosing to take lives) is denying any blame for the problem. I dunno. I am English in heritage, although my family has been in the US for some time. Seven seven breaks my heart, albeit in a different way than 9/11, but I don't see that Muslims must do more than any of the rest of us to identify the cause/reason of the bombings and ward off future bombings.

Update: Disappointed to see on CNN that Tony Blair is also shocked that the London bombers are British nationals:
Blair shocked 'bombers' were British
PM outlines four-point plan to combat terror attacks

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Prime Minister Tony Blair has expressed his shock that the four men believed to have carried out last week's deadly terrorist attacks on London's transit system were British nationals.

But speaking to parliament on Wednesday, Blair also urged Britons to react calmly to the bombings that killed at least 52 people, and he condemned attacks against Muslims.

"Particularly with the shock of knowing that those that have perpetrated this were actually born and brought up in this country, I think it is particularly important we recognize the worldwide dimension of this," Blair said.

(Rest of story)

"Oh, my country would never breed terrorists. They're so barbaric, and we are so pristine!" Check in with reality, Tony... The best kind of terrorist is your next door neighbor, bred from birth to infiltrate society as "one of us" then to execute their leader's plan when called upon. Whether from England or anywhere in the world, I don't condone the actions of the terrorists, but I am disgusted that world leaders are focusing on the nationality of the terrorists rather than the intentions of any terrorists that are still walking on this earth and precautions (if any could possibly be made) for future attacks, which to his credit Blair does outline further down in the article, but wtf?!:
  • Look urgently at how to strengthen the process for excluding from the UK those who incite hatred, and make it easier to deport such people.

I interpret this as "You look like you incite hatred, you're not allowed anywhere near our country."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a Muslim...I don't broadcast tbe fact in my blog not to hide my shame because I am very proud, but to alleviate anyone commenting that I should be ashamed of my religion or that I should apologize for every Muslim's misgivings.

There are lots of loonies in the world. Some stand outside abortion clinics, some kill abortion doctors, some form white power supremecy groups and some blow things up. My point is that these people commit acts of terror and use God as a guise to do so. They are no more interested in God than a common street whore. The motivations are almost always completely political.

I find this man's shock at the terror coming from home to be a little disheartening. It seems we as people from the West have done very little to understand why this is happening. We can't even begin to find a solution to the problem without understanding the root causes.

Poppy said...

That is so much better said than I could ever say, thanks Jenna! I am offended that this man is trying to make Muslims feel guilty for the actions of the bombers. I do not agree with him in any way. Extremists are their own "breed", and have nothing to do with being any particular religion, race, creed, etc. etc. I am really surprised nobody of power has called him on his statements, but I bet everyone just wishes the problem would go away without any action.

Poppy said...

MaMa, I know some people who agree with you. People who are retired from the US military. That's not a good sign...

I can understand why you would guard your "secret" of being Muslim, but here we are all friends. (Well, once I turn off anonymous commenting, anyway, which I intend to do.) So, please speak freely as if we lived in a free country. :)

Anonymous said...

You brought a smile to my face today and for that I thank you.....

Ally said...

I think that it is much easier for people to huddle together in a group and look 'outside' for threats, than take responsibility and acknowledge that there IS no 'outside'. The world as a whole is all one group.

Our local Islamic Centre was set on fire on Saturday. A terrible thing - but people's response to it has been heartening; local newspaper articles from different faith groups pledging support, passers by with no connection to the centre stepping inside and offering donations to help repair the damage, etcetera..

These people who commit acts of terror, or who incite others to commit them, are trying to divide communities and cultures. We need to use this as an opportunity to consolidate instead. Clarke and Blair's comments have disturbed me, too.

The situation *is* being stirred up by what is going on in Iraq, in Palestine and elsewhere. It's all part of the same thing - we are not going to succesfully address one aspect without addressing the other.

Just my twopenn'orth, sorry to fill up your comments box :).

Poppy said...

Jenna, I am glad that I could make your day. I have more deep thoughts swirling around in my head about how it is an injustice that you ever feel unsafe, but I can't quite articulate them. Just know that I like you more, not less, for choosing to share yourself and your opinions.

Ally, I am so sorry that happened. I appreciate you taking the time to comment, the more we talk about it the more we understand what is happening in our world, and the more we realize what we can do as individuals to make the world a better place.