Monday, July 18, 2005

Fame

We all want it. (OK, some of us do.) Then, we get it, and it is our nemesis. J.K. Rowling is dreading the end of Harry Potter and, despite her net worth of $1 billion, she has mixed feelings about her success:
"But one of my regrets would be that I will never again have the pleasure of sneaking into a cafe -- any cafe I like -- sitting down and diving into my world and no one knowing what I am doing and no one bothering about me and being totally anonymous, that was fantastic." (Full story)

I do not envy her. I would rather be poor and happy than rich and bothered.

Something about this being the second-to-last book has allowed me to be patient about starting it. Before I would feverishly burn through the Harry books in one or two days, sacrificing home and work life (oops) to get to the end. But, this weekend I instead spent much needed time with my furry girls, read the first James Frey book that I had already started before Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince arrived to my doorstep, and ate a lot of popsicles. It's very difficult to read and eat popsicles simultaneously.

I keep the Harry book near me, sitting on the other end of my couch staring at me, but I'm happy to let it sit there until I am ready for it.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Bah! I don't have your willpower! :) I started and finished it in less than 24 hours. I liked it. I agree, though, I'd rather be a poor nobody who is able to go into a coffee shop than an uber rich somebody who probably gets bothered every chance she gets. And which will get worse while we all wait for book 7.

Anonymous said...

I think I would take rich and bothered any day....Call me shallow but I would just be annoyed in Cabo.....

c said...

I think about fame sometimes, and I have to agree with you. It would be nice to have it for a little while, but I really do cherish my privacy (hell, I haven't even told my mother that my allergy test came back positive for cats because she'd pester me to get rid of our three...ain't happening).

I've been reading the new Potter verrrrrry slowly this time. I want to savor it.

I'm enjoying this one much more than usual. Can't wait till everyone reads it and then we can have a big blog book club meeting!