Monday, October 10, 2005

Hello garlic, my old friend

I used to eat garlic every single day of my entire life, an addiction of sorts like my addiction of, for, and about cheese. When I met Mr. Poppy I continued eating garlic like it was going out of style. He pretended to enjoy it as much as I did for the first four years we were together. One day about a year into our marriage at the dinner table he mentioned in passing, "I'm allergic to garlic. Look." His stomach was so bloated from the garlic-infested spaghetti sauce we were eating that it looked like he'd put on 20 pounds since lunchtime.

It was then that I learned my first lesson of sacrifice. I stopped making dinners with entire garlic bulbs. If I craved garlic I would only add it to my portion of food.

Lately my garlic craving has subsided so I am not used to garlic in my system anymore. Last night I got the craving for farfalle with sauteed garlic. I cut up 5 cloves of garlic, sauteed them in butter, then added the cooked farfalle to the pan and sauteed them together for a minute to merry the flavors. I plated my meal and began to eat it. The garlic began to sting my tongue. I thought, "hey there pal, I like you, what's goin' on here?" I continued to eat all 5 cloves of garlic with my pasta. After dinner I slowly realized that I wasn't feeling so great.

Today I too am so bloated it feels like I did gain 20 pounds from last night's dinner. I'm eating spearmint Certs to make my tummy feel better. I'm so disappointed in my body for losing its tolerance so that I can no longer enjoy my favorite "spice" the way I used to.

This old girl can't take the heat, so she's leaving the garlic kitchen. I'll miss you, old friend.

12 comments:

bdogg_mcgee said...

WOW--four years, huh? That's devotion!

I, too, love garlic. Thank goodness DH does too. The only bad experience I had with it was one time I was making garlic bread and put too much on there. It was not good....

Poppy said...

Too much? What does "too much" mean? ;)

In my prime I would eat an entire bulb in my sketti sauce. Oh, num!

bdogg_mcgee said...

I think I put about 5 cloves on three slices of bread. The only bad thing is I didn't cook the garlic first. Bleeech!

Was not one of my finest culinary moments....

Poppy said...

Ohhhhhh. Uncooked garlic cooked onto garlic bread doesn't ever work out very well, does it...

My stepmom makes the best garlic bread in the entire world. She cooks a pot full of butter and garlic on the stove for about 20 minutes, toasts the bread a bit in the oven, then slathers the top of the bread with the garlic-infused butter and broils it until golden brown. OH MAN. I am so hungry now!!

bdogg_mcgee said...

Dude, that's just wrong.... :)

Poppy said...

Oh, it's definitely wrong, but it tastes sooooooo right!

Bearette said...

Oh my god. I gained weight just reading that.

Love garlic, although a bulb would be a bit much for me ;)

bdogg_mcgee said...

We should start a food blog and call it "All Garlic, All the Time." Ha!

Poppy said...

Bry, 5 *cloves*. Which reminds me that the first time my mom cooked for my dad's mother she put in an entire bulb by mistake instead of a clove. Hehe. My mom and dad are divorced now, although I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Bdogg and Bearette - we should totally have a multi-author blog of garlic recipes!!!! :)

Mair said...

There's a San Francisco restaurant called the Stinking Rose basically dedicated to garlic. It's tasty as hell, but you don't feel so good later. Or the next day. Urg!

Bearette said...

I have this big juicy bulb of garlic right now. I love it when all the cloves are big. I used 4 of 'em in the stir-fry I made tonight.

Poppy said...

Thanks for the tip, Lisa!