Wednesday, October 19, 2005

How about a story instead?

The other day Bdogg posted about her engagement and wedding rings, complete with a photo of the rings on her finger. I thought this was a neat idea, but when I went upstairs to attempt to gain access to my engagement ring I realized it was locked up and we have temporarily misplaced the key. Oh well. I'll have to use my words instead. :)

About 6 1/2 years ago my mother gave Mr. Poppy a ring that had belonged to my great grandmother. The ring was nothing special, the diamond perhaps a quarter carat. My mother explained that it was ours to use as we wished and that she was not trying to pressure us into anything. At that time Mr. P had not proposed to me, so I think this was my mom's indirect way of giving her blessing for him to ask me. The ring was placed in our safe (yes, we lived together "in sin" for those of you who believe in that sort of thing) and it stayed there for six months.

Then, one day we came home from work and Mr. Poppy went into our bedroom. He kneeled down on the floor and yelled for me to come in, that there was something wrong. I came in, expecting to see one of the cats sick or dead when Mr. Poppy pulled the ring box into view and simply asked if I would marry him. I looked at him stunned. I smiled in a "wait, is this really happening" way then proceeded to call him a little shit. At some point he flipped out enough to say, "could you just please answer the question?" and then I finally said yes. :)

We had the diamond reset into a new ring that actually fit my hand (I have nice stubby fingers, as Jenna has commented on in the past) then shopped for a wedding band. I chose a band that had seven tiny little diamonds to complement the small diamond in my engagement ring.

At that time I had a job doing software installation and troubleshooting as well as hardware repair and computer assembly at a corporate office. Every time I stuck my left hand into a computer I would snag my engagement ring and end up damaging it or tearing up my hand. After Mr. P and I were married I made the executive decision to only wear the wedding band to preserve my engagement ring and stop losing so much blood.

I'm really not that into wedding bejewelment, so the facts that my diamonds are all small, that my ring sits in a locked box, that my complementing band no longer has something to complement on a daily basis do not bother me. It's definitely much more important to have my best friend at my side. I'm such a sap. :)

3 comments:

bdogg_mcgee said...

I love that story! Yay!

And the proposal was awesome--what a way to pull the wool over your eyes!

Washington Cube said...

Sweet proposal. My father caught his wedding ring while trying to fix a lawn mower once, and he never wore it again. It sits in my jewel box...sounds like a good excuse, right? JOKING!

Washington Cube Was Here. #426

Mair said...

It sounds beautiful!