Thursday, October 27, 2005

Fear and loathing

My co-worker in Iraq is being threatened with "all kinds of very scary punishments" by the military because of a complaint received regarding one of his blog entries. He called me from Iraq to ask that the entire blog (not just the entry in question) be taken offline. This morning I scrambled to find an admin who had access to the blog server who could take it down without deleting content. Of course the only one in the office today claimed he didn't know how to do that. I know my chmod, coulda disabled that baby in 15 keystrokes, but without server access I was helpless, so I paged someone who cares. A small freakout session occurred and the head of the group disabled the blog from a conference in another state. I am definitely hatin' the game today.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That sucks! And that's why people aren't out in the streets demanding that we end this thing in Iraq---because anyone who tries to tell anything resembling the truth gets shut down and threatened.

Grrrrr.

Tell your friend that he is in my prayers.