Saturday, July 08, 2006

This morning I took my father to breakfast so we could decide whether we would attend a two-day event on a Saturday or a Sunday based on the schedule sent to me in the mail with the tickets. I just don't understand why we can't go both days, but whatever, we can't, the tickets only allow us in one day. I did ask my dad if he wanted me to buy another set of tickets, but he passed. We then went garage sale hopping. I bought some kid books, a kid puzzle, a decorative teapot, and a plant table. I then went to my dad's house to watch the video he took of the fireworks we watched from my back yard. I mostly didn't get to watch them because I was too busy taking photos, so I sat in silence for the 10 1/2 minutes of footage my dad took before he ran out of room.

After this I went home to clean up for company later. I made my favorite feta-cream cheese phyllo dough cups. I just love those things, they rock so hard. The company came late and left early, and that's all I'll say about that.

After company, Hay found this little guy hanging onto one of the lilac bush's leaves:





I've never seen such a bug. I won't assume he's a caterpillar, because really he looks like he is some sort of primary color alien. I mean, what's up with those colors? Is my front yard suddenly a rain forest? Oddness.

UPDATE: Merideth explains that this is a Cecropia moth! Just hasn't transformed quite yet. Hay has since studied up and learned that the mature Cecropia moth is born without a mouth, living just long enough to find a mate and have babies. So, for now the pre-moth version is eating our lilacs. *sigh*

Tomorrow Hay and I are going to be touring several gardens, so when the Garden Party photos are posted you'll be oohed and aahed and overwhelmed. And, I'll likely be late posting. Such is life, it'll be worth the wait 10-fold.

9 comments:

Nessa said...

What an incredible bug. He does look like an alien.

BarbaraMG said...

Wow! That is a cool looking creature!

Newlywife said...

That post makes me miss my dad! Dads are so ordinary and extraordinary at the same time.

Nessa said...

What kind of camera do you have?

Poppy said...

Sony Cyber-shot DSW-1 5.1 megapixel with 3x optical zoom. It's from 2005, so now their lowest model sold is a 6 megapixel. I enjoy this camera as my first purchased, but two things I dislike: its optical zoom isn't good enough for my desire to do super-macro shots; when taking a video the focus blurs then sharpens, blurs then sharpens over and over (as if something is wrong with it, but it's now out of warranty and I don't quite care enough to get it fixed).

Poppy said...

Merideth, thank you SO MUCH!!!!

... said...

Love the macro...I take macros myself but I don't know that any of them are as nice as that one.

Miss Scarlet said...

Somehow I read that as "feta ice cream"-EW!

Mama Kelly said...

wow What, dare I say it, gorgeous caterpillar

ive never seen anything like it

we recently found a Luna Moth in our yard, which also only lives about a week and is without a mouth