Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Swashbuckler review

Oh, there is so a SPOILER ALERT on this post.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was a bit too hyped, à mon avis. The plot line was not as tight as the first one. I was never endeared enough to Cap'n Jack to care that the Kraken ate him (uh huh, sure it did), and I didn't particularly care for the sappy story lines that didn't even make much sense. Why was everyone so enthusiastic about agreeing to bring Jack back? The chemistry between William and his father on Davy Jones's ship was lacking. And, why the feck was it so easy for William to steal the key? C'MON! I also did not appreciate the implication of rape that would have occurred if the “sea-phantoms” had not appeared to interrupt armed-with-swords Ragetti and Gibbs as they drooled and poppeted over the weaponless Elizabeth on the island. I still don't understand the sexual tension between Elizabeth and Jack, it just wasn't played up correctly for me. I understand intellectually that his bad boy ways attracted her to him, but I didn't feel it. My favorite part was watching Davy Jones's face squiggle around – very realistic!

Rating: C+ for plot. A- for visual. B for entertainment value.

5 comments:

P'nut said...

I'm sorry you didn't find it fantabulous, Popster. You make some good critical points... Maybe I enjoyed it so much because I didn't let myself get all jacked up about it like I normally do. I figured "eh, a sequel" and was happily surprised by how much fun I had watching it.

PS - I really enjoyed Bill Nighy's performance as D.J. (I recognized him almost immediately from his role in Underworld).

Sara said...

That was pretty much how I felt about it. And didn't you think everyone was just meaner? Davy Jones was definatly the best part.

Joanne said...

I was on the fence about it. On the one hand it was pretty enjoyable as just a movie. On the other I kept thinking this is not appropriate for children yet they are marketing it as though it is. (I know it has a PG-13 tag, but McD's is selling off its happy meals etc...)

Maman said...

Gee, I didn't recognize Bill Nighy right away.. something about some sea life distracted me... but I love him too P'nut, from Love Actually and Underworld! But the question for Poppy is: Did you enjoy saying Skarsgard in a pirate voice afterword... it does lend itself to it perfectly...

Elsa said...

I totally agree with your Pirates assessement. I though the first one was better, too.