Thursday, May 25, 2006

A review of Over the Hedge by Poppy M. Cede

Simple words: fun, a bit on the heavy-hearted side, filled with “moral of the story”-type lessons, cute yet not cutesy, enjoyable.

My stepmom, a boy with his mom, and I were the only ones in the theater. At 10 minutes after the movie should have started the film master popped his head out the glass window into the theater to let us know that a party of birthday kids was scheduled to attend our movie but had not arrived yet. At 15 minutes after the previews started. Just as the very last preview ended the house lights were turned back on and the screen went blank. The film master popped his head back into the theater to let us know the party was in the building. Thing is, each of the kids had to get their concession stand order before they enetered the theater. Sooooo, 30 minutes after the movie should have started it finally did and we all were very confused - was this the start of the movie, or had the film been left turned on the whole time but just wasn't being displayed to the screen? The reason we questioned this was: A) because the fluffy movie trivia junk they play before the previews was playing over top of the movie; B) the movie starts with a scene of a raccoon trying to get a package of nacho chips out of a vending machine, and there are no credits for about the first 15 minutes. Because everyone in the theater thought it was not the start of the movie I actually got up, went all the way to the ticket master, and reported that I thought our movie had been playing while we waited for the birthday party folks. I don't mind making a fool of myself, so no harm no foul. Just another amusing story for the blog. ;)

The first bit and the ending of the movie remind me of The Village. (If you've seen the start of this movie and the end of The Village you'll know why.) The middle reminds me of Toy Story 2.

Stars: ☆ ☆ ☆ out of 5
Suggest: See it on DVD, or bring a kiddo (at heart) to the theater

1 comment:

P'nut said...

Thanks for the review, Poppy. I've been very excited to see this and just needed to know if it was worth spending $13 CDN to see it in the theater. I still might be willing to spend $10 to see it at an afternoon matinee, though. I think I'm drawn to it because of all the quirky critters that hang out in my sisters backyard (squirrels, skunks, raccoons, etc) so it's like a movie about them specifically.

I cannot believe they made you guys wait that long for the birthday party to arrive. It's terrible and I would have been very upset. Private parties should not interfere with public patrons' viewing of films.

In my opinion, the party-goers should have been instructed that they MUST arrive on time or they will have to enter the theater QUIETLY mid-movie... or, even better, they should have their own private showing of the film in another theater by themselves (bday party kids can get too noisy).