Monday, April 24, 2006

Tragedy loves company loves goofing off

It's really hard on me when I watch a reality-type show and am moved by it in whichever direction it cares to move me, then during the credits I see that one of the people in the show has died. The first time this happened was when I was watching the Women's Entertainment (We) show Single in New York. Do you know where I'm going with this? Probably. It was the beginning of 2002, or thereabouts, and I had just finished watching a marathon of the 2001 New York episodes. In the very last episode one of the ladies was so excited that she had finally found her true love in a big financial hot shot who worked at the WTC. Her parting comments were that they had planned to marry soon and start their lives together. Her fiance died on 9/11 when the WTC tower he was in (either North or South, I don't rightly remember which, but that's not the point) collapsed. I can't tell you how gutted I was when I read that on the screen. I started bawling. Once I stopped crying, or maybe in between sobs, I started craving information about him and his fiancee. I found all types of In Memoriam sites at the time, even a bit of an update from his fiancee.

Of course, the mind and the Internets are both fickle, so I now have no recollection of his name or nickname, and neither does Google or even We, who produces and airs the show. This makes me realize that peeking into people's lives for entertainment value is very short lived. I have been super busy at work for several weeks now, because this is our busy time, then at home because this is planting time. I have therefore had almost no time to keep up with the celeblogs. Day 1 I craved them like a wonderful cigarette or glass of 19-year-old Scotch, but now it's day I-don't-even-know-what and I check one or two sites maybe twice a day, if at all. I come away from them thinking, “why am I bothering?” I know those people are all important to someone, but it doesn't have to be me. Woah. You mean, the world will continue to revolve if I don't check 12 times an hour?! Really?! Are you sure? ... (Stef, help me out, am I sure? I heard a rumor that the world revolves elsewhere. ;)

I know I'm cured of my addiction for now. After my ortho adjustment this afternoon (I've moved from vertical Impalas to Bears with a box pattern! W00T!), instead of rushing home to curl up and catch up with my favorite celebrity gossip sites I went to Agway to purchase potato tubers, onion sets, seeds for the veggie gardens, and dried corn cobs for the squirrels. Once home I did laundry, dishes, cat treats, mail sorting, dinner, and tweaking of the eVite guest list for our porch party. What the hell have I become? Old lady! No. No, no no. Responsible! Yes. Okay. But not that responsible, because I really should be in bed right now but I'm goofing around on my blog. 8.D

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

So you're ignoring the celeblogs, but you're still reading me?? I have a hard time believing I'm more interesting that the drama queens in Hollywood, but OK. ;-)

Also, this has nothing to do with this post, but are you really reading FIVE books simultaneously? How do you DO that?? I need to focus on one at a time (maybe two, if one of them is nonfiction or essays, but that's the limit).

P'nut said...

Porch party? Waaaaaaaaaah! I wanna come! Curse you for living so far away!