Sunday, April 09, 2006

Over the river and through the woods

Today I visited my grandmother to celebrate her birthday. At her request I made her a choco choco cake. We ate a small piece of cake to revel in birthdayness.



While there I noticed a photo on the wall of my great grandmother with my mom and all of her siblings.



My mom is the girl bending over whose face is hidden by bunny ears.

My grandmother is famous within our family for her chairs of teddy bears, so I thought I'd share one of the chairs with you.



She has teddy bears from all stages of their existence, a mini museum of large and small bears.

I didn't take any pictures of the people who were physically present, as promised to them all so that they would even let me take the camera out of its case. My brother and niece showed up while I was visiting, because I had mentioned yesterday when I dropped my niece off after the movie that I would be visiting Gram today. My brother gave her a beautiful glass etched with the insignia of a local business that is important to her. She loved it.

I am not sure, but I do get the feeling that we have very little time left with Gram. Her mind is still sharp but her body is falling to pieces. I am glad I was able to see her today, and hope that I get another visit or 12 in before “it” happens. I did tell her I'd have grandkids for her soon, but I don't get the sense she'll be sticking around and holding her breath just for that. :) Oh well. I know her spirit will live on. I am just like her, and I'm proud of that.

5 comments:

Thérèse said...

That's really sweet, Poppy. :)

melissa said...

I know what you mean about feeling like there's not a lot of time left. My great-grandmother (yes, I still call her Nana) is 87, and her body is also breaking down. This last time we visited her, I realized her mind's not nearly as sharp, either. She'd ask a question about school, and then after I'd answered it, she'd ask again an hour later. It made me want to cry.

Thérèse said...

I really filtered that the first time I read it and saw only the nice things you had said about your grandmother. I realize now that it may have come off sounding insensitive but I didn't mean for it to.

*hug*

Poppy said...

Thanks for the hug, T. It's all good. I don't think you would ever intentionally be malicious.

Melissa, why do we have to fall apart? Not fair... I did have to repeat myself 4 times about the basebal score.

Spider Walk said...

Your Grandma sounds like a wonderfully warm woman. When people say you are just like her, you have EVERY reason to be proud!