Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Poppyland Daily

I spent from 8:30am to 3:30pm preparing for and doing yard work. I even had to dig a small bed so that I could move the invasive primrose from the front bed to directly under the back deck. I had to make a decision about whether to try to divide the primrose away from my balloon plants, but the primrose was so entwined that I brought the balloon plants along with the primrose to the back. I'm sad to have to move them, but I have other balloon plants in the front, the primrose was completely taking over its section of the front bed, and now I have room so that I could plant seeds of Delphinium, Hollyhocks, and Cupid's Dart. I'm pretty excited to have those grow. :)



While digging the primrose bed I found this juicy worm in with the others.



Note my thumb in the picture for scale. Ew.

Hay knows how entertained I am by bugs and such, so he brought over a stick from one of our trees which was already being nested by baby caterpillars.



They're squirmy little suckers.

During a very brief trip out to get lumber for another raised flowerbed and to grab some lunch to bring back home I saw a man on the side of the road selling lawn ornaments so I stopped to learn about them. He said he makes them himself so I bought some bunnies for the front flowerbed.



I love how their eyes are made with glass beads.



Princess Kitty, the neighbor-across-the-street's cat, came over to visit today. While she was over her nervously skinny twin came as far as the middle of the road and mewed at me.



I went to the road and picked her up to put her down on our side of the road, but she jumped down and ran away. Later she came over and scoped out our driveway under Hay's car and our garage then she left. I guess people make her skiddish.

I'd just like to say there's nothing like totally trashing your hands and fingernails in the process of a great day's of work in the dirt. I did my best to clean up my hands before heading over to my dad's house for supper, scrubbing my hands and nails with a pedi brush and gritty soap, but I ended up needing to cut all my nails off.

While over at Dad's for dinner I looked at old photographs of my family.



My father recently found two boxes of papers and photos he had not realized were in his possession. I've decided I'd like a fair number of the ones he is offering to me and my brother. Now I just need to negotiate with my brother to hold onto the ones I chose. ... I'm younger. No matter which photos Big Brother takes I still get to keep my own photos of Dad's collection of pocketwatch faces. :)




Dad also showed me a scrapbook that my grandmother made which contained all the cards people sent congratulating my grandparents on the birth of my dad.



A few of the cards are super cute. My dad prefaced my viewing of the scrapbook by saying its contents would be nothing I'm interested in. I swear my dad's self esteem is lower than my own some days... I think there were about 50 cards, maybe really closer to 100, in that book.

Hay and I had a scrumptious pot roast dinner with Vidalia onion, carrots, mashed potatoes, gravy, and rolls. It was so good. My stepmom really is a great cook of traditional American dishes. Let's admit for the sake of my stereotype that we've adopted spaghetti with meat sauce, Shepherd's pie, and tacos as American fare.

It's almost midnight and I'm nodding off. Sweet dreams, Blogland. See you tomorrow for Sunday Garden!

~P

2 comments:

Bryan said...

You have more interesting things any one day of your life than I do in a two week period.

Jealous.

Poppy said...

Thanks, Brdg. :)

Bry, life is too short. Make stuff happen in your life, but savor this quiet time. When you're president of the USA you'll wish for a boring day to yourself.