Tuesday, January 09, 2007

What else does it kill?

I know, I keep stuffing news up here. It's what's on my mind, so here we go again:

How spicy foods can kill cancers

Scientists have discovered the key to the ability of spicy foods to kill cancer cells.

They found capsaicin, an ingredient of jalapeno peppers, triggers cancer cell death by attacking mitochondria - the cells' energy-generating boiler rooms.

[...]

The study showed that the family of molecules to which capsaicin belongs, the vanilloids, bind to proteins in the cancer cell mitochondria to trigger apoptosis, or cell death, without harming surrounding healthy cells.

Capsaicin was tested on cultures of human lung cancer cells and on pancreatic cancers.

Lead researcher Dr Timothy Bates said: "As these compounds attack the very heart of the tumour cells, we believe that we have in effect discovered a fundamental 'Achilles heel' for all cancers.

"The biochemistry of the mitochondria in cancer cells is very different from that in normal cells.

"This is an innate selective vulnerability of cancer cells."

He said a dose of capsaicin that could cause a cancer cell to enter apoptosis, would not have the same effect on a normal cell. (continued)


I like spicy food. I'm not awesome with hot, but mild and medium are all over the inside of my tummy. Num!!! Of course, the capsaicin is in the seeds that I remove to make the pepper less hot. Silly me. :)

3 comments:

Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

Yeah, but this stuff always goes in cycles, right?

1. News reports "___" prevents cancer.
2. People increase consumption of "___"
3. Whoops! News reports "___" actually *causes* cancer
4. People eat less "___"
5. Repeat cycle, insert new food in "__".

Anonymous said...

I love spicy stuff. I have found that if I gradually increase the spiciness over time, I can handle a lot hotter than I would if I just went from scratch.

P'nut said...

I find that eating super spicy foods completely ruins the food experience.

I don't particularly like it when I can't *taste* things because all the nerve endings on my tongue exploded & died.

I enjoy "flavourful" seasonings, but not "hot".