Wednesday, January 10, 2007

This, that, the other thing

Tom Skerritt is the face of Windows Vista. He also plays the husband of Nora (Sally Field) on precisely one episode of Brothers & Sisters before his character dies of a heart attack. Tom and Sally were the parents of Julia Roberts in Steel Magnolias so throughout the first episode of Brothers & Sisters all I could think of was Tom shooting the birds, going to the bathroom and leaving his gun out, and other crazy hijinx. I'm not happy that someone died, but I am glad that the show didn't perpetuate the relationship between Tom and Sally's characters so that I didn't have to boycott the show. Don't get me wrong, I love Steel Magnolias, but you don't just throw two actors together because they worked in a movie 18 years ago. Sacred. Leave it be.

And, on a totally local level: It took us twice our normal commute time to drive into the town where I work because of a quickly passing* snow storm that caused really poor visibility, really backed up traffic, people to go off roads, and roads to be closed until the storm passed* while the roads were cleared to make them passable*. When we couldn't “get there from here” Hay turned around and brought me to his work until the storm passed* and the roads were cleared. We used to work together a very long time ago, so it was like old times. Ahh, memories...

Okay, seriously, why am I so hungry? I need to eat another burrito. I think 2007 is the year of the burrito for me.


*I like the word. What can I say...

4 comments:

Avitable said...

I'm trying to convince someone to bring me Burger King. Why don't they deliver?

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm. Burrito. That's it. I'm getting one for lunch.

Oh, and when I used to eat McDonald's, I would often wonder why,
A. They don't deliver and
B. why they don't serve breakfast all day.

Poppy said...

Avi - Spite.

DLil - It makes me angry when I get to the McD's drive-thru at 10:40am and by the time all the cars in front of me place their order it's no longer time for breakfast. I want my hash browns, dammit!!!!

Miss Penny Lane said...

Steel Magnolias was 18 years ago? I guess so, since it came out in 1989, the year I graduated high school. DAMN, I'm old!! Good thing I look like I'm 16 (OK, not exactly...). I do love me some Tom Skerritt, though.... And I love that movie. My mom was actually born right around there, and her brother is buried in that cemetary where they bury Shelby. Shir;ey MacLaine rocks in that flick. What kind of name is Ousier, though?? ;)