Monday, January 15, 2007

Crying consumer column

Why is it that when I have time off I end up buying things? Today's purchases, none of which are new, but all of which are dear to me:

1. The soundtrack to Until the End of the World. The saddest soundtrack to one of the saddest movies of all time. If you need a cry this is the soundtrack for you. The playlist:
  1. Opening Titles - David Darling
  2. Sax And Violins - Talking Heads
  3. Summer Kisses, Winter Tears - Julee Cruise
  4. Move With Me (Dub) - Neneh Cherry
  5. The Adversary - Crime & The City Solution
  6. What's Good - Lou Reed
  7. Last Night Sleep - CAN
  8. Fretless - R.E.M.
  9. Days - Elvis Costello
  10. Claire's Theme - David Darling
  11. (I'll Love You) Till The End Of The World - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
  12. It Takes Time - Patti Smith & Fred Smith
  13. Death's Door - Depeche Mode
  14. Love Theme - David Darling
  15. Calling All Angels - Jane Siberry with k.d. lang
  16. Humans From Earth - T-Bone Burnett
  17. Sleeping In The Devil's Bed - Daniel Lanois
  18. Until The End Of The World - U2
  19. Finale - David Darling

My favorites are 2, 3, 4, 11, 13, 15, and 18. The movie is one of the best William Hurt films of his career, à mon avis. He's been in a lot of amazing films, so please consider adding this to your WH belt. I've only ever seen it on VHS, so you might have trouble finding it in the states.

2. Underwater People by The Samples. An old boyfriend introduced me to The Samples. This album in particular is my favorite. The songs Feel Us Shaking and Giants (Without Hearts) both make me cry.

  1. Underwater People (live)
  2. My Town (Meltdown)
  3. Braidwood (acoustic)
  4. Giants (live)
  5. After the Rain (live)
  6. Moonlit Treese
  7. Overthrow (live)
  8. Feel Us Shaking (acoustic)


3. And, finally, something that makes me laugh so hard I cry, the first season of The Office (US). Although the first season only contains six episodes it's still worth owning. I challenge anyone to intelligently (without attacking me, because that's not intelligent) defy the goodness of this show without comparing it to the UK version.

No comments: