Monday, November 07, 2005

Oldboy

Hay and I watched Oldboy* last night. It was surprisingly one of the best movies we've seen in a long time.


Min-sik Choi as Oh Dae-su


It's quite violent and the plot twist is kinda yicky and there is cruelty to an octopus that could not be fake. (I'm abso-smurfly certain that when Oh Dae-su throws punches he's connecting with the body of his opponents.) If you're okay with knowing that you will witness all of these things then I say go ahead and check it out. An American remake is in the works, but don't even dare to think it will be as good as the original - we just don't do movies in such a realistic way.

*Note at IMDb that a Korean has described the film as shameful and not representative of Korea. The same can be said about many other movies which, if used to portray "everyday life" in that particular country, would bring shame to the country's people. I don't doubt that Korean life is not correctly depicted in this movie, but I do appreciate the movie nonetheless. The movie is based on a Japanese Manga, and you definitely get the sense that you're watching a comic book come to life when you watch the film.

3 comments:

Poppy said...

Agreed! It was fantastic.

*SPOILER*
The only thing I didn't think was necessary was Mi-do's breasts being visible while she was tied up. Maybe just to hurt Oh Dae-su more, but it just seemed awkward. Oh, and the ending makes me feel dirty about finding the sex scene hot. Sigh. I'm a perv.

Poppy said...

Good point. If I were seeking revenge I'm not sure I would have even thought to do what he did. I might now that the idea has been presented to me, but before the movie it just wouldn't have been a consideration.

t~ said...

hmmm that's not playing here, but when it does (that is if it's not gone already) i'll definitely have to see it. Looks like it also got really good reviews from the critics as well. Cool! Thanks for the info. :)