Saturday, November 12, 2005

b k00l

My mother is the oldest of five. She is between 15 and 20 years older than the youngest of her siblings, my uncle. He married late in life and has one son and one daughter. The boy, my cousin, is turning 10 this month. Hay and I are going to my uncle's house for Thanksgiving which is serving also as my cousin's birthday.

I haven't been 10 in a long time. I'm really out of touch with what kids think is cool these days, but somehow I came up with the idea to buy him digital walkie-talkie watches with 4 different color covers.


My hope is that my cousin will enjoy these enough to share a watch with a family member or perhaps a friend from school and they can play spy games or find each other in stores or...well, there are so many applications.

For those of you who have kids - is this a good gift? Be honest, not necessary to lie. I'm giving the gift to him no matter, I just want to be prepared for it to be thrown to the wayside while he goes nuts for Doom 60 or a new iPod cellphone.

8 comments:

Bearette said...

I think it's a good gift. Especially for a boy. I think they like anything gadget-y. (I don't have kids, but I have a 9-year-old niece, 7-year-old nephew, 12-year-old nephew, 9-year-old nephew, and a 6-year-old nephew.)

Bearette said...

Where can you get those watches, anyway? I'm still Christmas shopping for my nephews :)

Poppy said...

K-mart! It's an online product only, and for whatever reason I can't actually find it on the Cooltronix site. I'd give you a link to it, but when I tried to follow the link in Google I couldn't actually check out with the product, kept saying my cart was empty, so I recommend just going to kmart.com and search for keyword cooltronix.

All my friends' kids are between 1 and 4. Any Christmas ideas for that age?

Bearette said...

Hmm. For girls I would say stuffed animals (make sure they are too big to swallow) and little dresses. Maybe even little shoes. For either sex I'd say picture books. You could get little clothes for boys too, though the clothes are not as cute.

Bearette said...

Thanks for the awesome idea. 3 of my nephews will be getting it :) D confirmed that it's a good present for guys. I asked if he thought the 12-year-old was too old for it and he said, "I'm not too old for it." D is 32 ;)

Poppy said...

Thanks for the gift ideas for the little ones! They'll definitely come in handy when we make our mad dash to the online kiddy store.

Poppy said...

Whenever I am over to my uncle's house (once or twice a year) my male cousin plays with his sister, despite their 5-6 year age difference. He's an interesting character. He is totally into doing plays, which is what made me wonder if he'd appreciate a geeky gift. :) But, I was into the music scene and computers, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

c said...

My son would totally go nuts for this. He's nearly nine and really scary smart. He's got a couple of friends who would also go nuts for this.

He might just be finding one under the tree this year!