Friday, February 23, 2007

bookses

Found at Avi's:

Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror?
Horror best, then sci-fi. Fantasy is better in movie form for me.

Hardback or Trade Paperback or Mass Market Paperback?
I really don't care. I just wanna read, man!

Amazon or Brick and Mortar?
Amazon.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
B&N for fiction and because of the Starbucks attached, Borders for foreign language and non-fiction.

Hitchhiker or Discworld?
Hitchhiker (book 1) is my bible.

Bookmark or Dogear?
I do a variety.

Asimov’s Science Fiction or Fantasy & Science Fiction?
Hmm. I guess Asimov.

Alphabetize by author, Alphabetize by title, or random?
Sorted by category, then by author, then by size.

Keep, Throw Away or Sell?
Keep!!!!!!

Keep dust-jacket or toss it?
Keep!

Read with dustjacket or remove it?
I take it off while I read the book then I put it back on when I shelf it.

Short story or novel?
I love novels and short stories, but I can only read short stories when they're in collections. By themselves, they don't give enough satisfaction. [Avi's answer preserved.]

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
Harry.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Stop reading when I fall asleep.

"It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time?"
Dark and stormy, that's my style.

Buy or Borrow?
I do both. I have a membership to the library right next to my office building so I'll borrow or wait for a book to be gifted to me a fair amount of the time but will buy when I can't find a copy to borrow or need to add it to a collection.

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation or Browse?
Recommendations.

Lewis or Tolkien?
I'm not qualified to answer that. I've only read Tolkien lately, and read LWW when I was in 5th grade but don't remember it at all. I did see the movie version of LWW but I'm not answering this question based on my recollection of a movie. That's not fair to the authors.

Collection (short stories by the same author) or Anthology (short stories by different authors)?
Collections.

Tidy ending or Cliffhanger?
Cliffhangers are fine as long as the last book in the series is published already (which means I wait until the series concludes to start reading the books) and ends tidily. :)

Morning reading, Afternoon reading or Nighttime reading?
I prefer evening and beddtime reading.

Standalone or Series?
Series for most things. I enjoy true crime in standalone form.

New or used?
I prefer new because I am a germophobe, but I'll borrow and buy books at rummage sales and then wash my hands after I put down the books.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is the book I thought no one had heard of but it was almost made into a movie starring Drew Barrymore, so someone's definitely heard of it...

Top 5 favorite genre books of all time?
I can't answer this.

Favorite genre series?
I guess I'm not familiar with exactly what this means. I like really violent books with a good side story of lusty affair-type behavior, but I won't read trashy romance novels so I'll go for the Grant County series by Karin Slaughter.

Currently Reading?
Ceremony by Robert Parker (thanks, Avi!)
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (thanks, ACW!)

3 comments:

acw said...

So how do you like it so far?

Poppy said...

I love that it is written in such a real tense. How he does that I'm not sure. It totally feels like all this must have really happened.

Bearette said...

i read confederacy of dunces. also gave it to my sister one christmas.