Thursday, June 01, 2006

o-d-d spells weird

So, for a conference I'm attending I need to have a Windows XP SP1* laptop. I have a Windows 2000 laptop so I planned to presto change-o turn it into an XP laptop. I inserted an XP SP1 CD and told it to go ahead and (clean) install. I got as far as the product key and used the product key authorized for this machine. No go, said it was invalid. Fine, fine, we'll play the game. (And, no, the product key used for Win 2k was not pirated. But, even if it were pirated you can't do a 2k pro to xp pro upgrade, only clean install.) I quit out of setup, told Win 2k to shut down. Restarted the computer and booted to the XP SP1 CD, and did a clean install of Windows. Without ever needing to enter the product key. That's not normal. That sounds a touch buggy to me. Hmm. I know I'm a bit rusty with my Windows installs, since I don't do too much of that anymore, but. C'mon. Ya can't just go willy-nilly installing XP “for free”.


---
*That's SP1, for real. Not SP2. Part of the conference is learning all about SP2's intricacies, so it needs to not yet be installed. Hence why I can't just bring my bootcamped Mac. :(

1 comment:

Mair said...

Here's what I read:

Jibber jabber rusty shabba labba c'mon yadda yadda yadda Windows.

You, my friend, are a computering wizard. And I am so lost.